Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2015

I have a lot of conflicting feelings about posting this. People who knew Jacob knew he was good at producing conflicting feelings. But Jacob was a founding member of this forum and was central to the fixed community for a number of years. Some of my earliest and best (and drunkest) memories of the alleycat scene involved Jacob. The first time I met him, we took a Chinatown bus to NYC and scouted the Halloween Race route. That was 10 years ago and it was my first proper alleycat. I did terribly. Later, we rode to Nashua and back together, dropping poor Morgie on the way back (sorry Morgie!) and did a few other training rides together with Peter "World Champion" Bradshaw. I remember taking third overall in Boston's Scumbag Cup, one of Jacob's many amazing and demented race creations. And I remember him heckling me from the sideline when I was fighting with everything I had to take a top place in the Figure 8 Crit in Philly's Scumbag Cup (I got second, though the police shut us down eventually). I thought of Jacob's races whenever I was designing an alleycat of my own.

Though he didn't post often in recent years, he last looked at the forum just three weeks ago. I don't know what that means. He had a dark streak, a love of the scumbaggery of downtown life, but he was one of the ones I rooted for to pull himself together and come out the other side. So sad that he didn't get a chance.

Here's a great photo of Jacob and his trusty megaphone as I was winning the Scumbag Cup drinking contest. I love everything about this photo:

Scumbag Cup Drinking ContestWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2015

It was a real sad day in the square.

Also, I believe his super sweet pit bull Jules needs a home, if anyone can help. (He's a little bigger now)

Fuck, I didn't even know him much at all, but it's still so surreal."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    What. Happened.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Damn.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2015

Jules:

jules

I'd be willing to foster Jules if my dog weren't so skittish around other dogs. I can put a call out on Facebook maybe. Let me know how I can help!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I believe Benny is taking care of him for the moment, I'd get in touch with him or Fresh."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

I didn't really know the dude, but saw him around, raced a few of his taces and been to his Chinatown place a few times. I'll have to dig out my Zelda and Dude Abides spoke cards. The Zelda race was my first race and I didn't even finish. Scott Horrigan and I got ridiculously lost
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Opie mentioned a memorial ride tomorrow followed by a bbq or something on castle island or the esplanade. Metting in Winthrop sq around noon."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

Very sad. I was hanging out with him at his place the night it happened. Unreal. Hopefully we (me and fresh) will be finishing up the last jacobs frames in the coming weeks.MUFFDVR
    Thanks for posting this rob.

I don't know how I feel but it's kind of like this.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2015

He gave me shit when I was a rookie, I'm grateful for that
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2015

Thank you for posting this rob, you said it all better than I could have. I considered posting something here but didn't know what to say. That ride was a good one and I don't mind having been dropped one bit!

Fuck me, I don't know if I could take in Jules (already have one pit) but Karla and I are both suckers for dogs, especially pits....
    What happened? Someone?!?All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015

Some photos of yesterday's memorial ride. Croth bought flowers and we all attached them to our bikes. I haven't seen some of these guys in almost five years, and I was worried about bad blood with one or two of them. But all that melted away so quickly when we all started sharing war stories from Jacob's races and good times from years past. Pete Ruby even flew in from Portland, OR for the occasion. So glad I went, even if I had to leave early.

Ride in peace

Downtown procession

Channel changeWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

i still don't know what he looks like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

Didn't know him personally, but he was part of my into to the whole bike scene in boston. Had a huge amount of fun at his races, and got completely covered in beer at his parties. RIP.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Nuggetross:i still don't know what he looks like.

https://youtu.be/82mJcForwIs
    There's a link to a Dutch travel show about a race he did, it's pretty funny but I can never get videos to work on here."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Scumbag Cup Championship Race (which I was VERY hungover for)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2015

i seen dat. didn't know it was him.