Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2015

It's getting to the point where we get to reflect on our year a bit.
    I thought it might be fun to also think about your favorite cycling related accomplishment, or favorite cycling memory of 2015.

So, what did it for you this year?
    I've got a couple:
    1) found a lost 8 yr old in the woods, lead her to safety and found her parents. I think I may have saved her life.
    2) helped a bike buddy get married
    3) first 30 mile climb
    4) first 50 mile mtb ride

I know we've got the accomplishments thread, but I wanted to start something more cycling specific and time boxed.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    Ooh...
    1) I ditched the last pair of drop bars I will ever have, and started enjoying riding my ANT for the first time
    2) Which meant I could start using my Zugster rando bag again
    3) I got a sick Brompie & Gilman Brompie bag
    4) Which I at one point rode across Philadelphia with two potted succulents in it
    5) Did a charity ride which was overall a nightmare, but which I felt good about for like 35 or 40 milesi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

my first mtb ride i went into the desert and saw wild horses (which, i mean, was why i went there in the first place)

...that's about it. biked to/over the continental divide, but it's only like 9 miles from here...
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

this year i got the pursuit frame ive wanted since the moment i saw it 5 years ago
    tristan:It's getting to the point where we get to reflect on our year a bit.
    I thought it might be fun to also think about your favorite cycling related accomplishment, or favorite cycling memory of 2015.

So, what did it for you this year?
    I've got a couple:
    1) found a lost 8 yr old in the woods, lead her to safety and found her parents. I think I may have saved her life.
    2) helped a bike buddy get married
    3) first 30 mile climb
    4) first 50 mile mtb ride

I know we've got the accomplishments thread, but I wanted to start something more cycling specific and time boxed.

A THIRTY MILE CLIMB HOLY SHIT where were you?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Dang, I didn't do anything cool on bikes this year. But I did gain A DE FIETSFABRIEK FILIBUS AND A BULLITT, which I guess is something I'm pretty happy about."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthortristan

banana truffles:A THIRTY MILE CLIMB HOLY SHIT where were you?

At my house! I've learned a ton about the trail system since you visited. You should come again!ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2015

1. Had my first custom frame/bike built for me ever and it's freaking awesome

2. Rode D2R2 (for the first time) and didn't pass out until the day after
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

I introduced Finnegan to running with the pack, and he is amazing at it.
    pocky:
    Go to the 0:34 mark if you're impatient
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Accomplishment 1: I crashed on Tremont street over a pothole while holding a beer and managed to not spill the beer (severely)

Accomplishment 2: Detail cop who saw the whole think laughed and gave me a thumbs up after I got up and rode away.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

accomplishment #2 didnt crash in 2015...yet
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

jinxed it for sure
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2015 edited

Ditto for me that i
    JimmyJ:Rode D2R2 (for the first time) and
    didnt cramp until mile 50?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2015

Also I made this happen:
    pocky:
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorstingobango
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2015 edited

Went bike camping a few times, twice on work nights!

All the crazy snow commutes last winter
    Daily skillz practice on iceI thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    ^just did that skillz practice from the bu bridge to western ave on the esplanade. sooo slick, only had to bail once!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2015

1) Rode from Watertown to Portland via MTL, TOR, MPLS, Boulder, Santa Fe, PCHhttp://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    • CommentAuthorjohn89
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2016

One of the most entertaining sports out there is road biking. The beauty of road biking lies in its ability to suit the needs of different people, whether that is leisure cyclists, commuters, or even people taking part in exercises.I always use my bicycle for my commute. Every riding i am enjoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2016

So, John89 is definitely webcrawling for its context posts, but adding some bad grammar and misspellings specifically to trick us into thinking it might be human:
    Quote directly from toppage of http://roadbikehub.com
    Google search for that string::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    This was a happy thread for me, I am not sorry it got bumpedi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    1) rode the oregon outback with rad buds
    2) sold most of my bikes
    3) did my first solo bikecamping jam.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Hows the biking in Spain, paul?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    Dope.

In the city its chaotic but feels really safe because everyone on the road (cars, buses, taxis, mopeds, pedestrians, cyclists) is constantly breaking rules and doing dumb shit so everyone is really quick on the brakes and understanding when you accidentally get in their way. And the hubway-style bikes are electric assist and cruise at like 25 km/h so you have to get used to getting passed by them, especially on hills. The two times someone's yelled at me have been for not splitting lanes in heavy traffic.

Outside of the city the riding is really awesome, almost all the major highways were built alongside their older counterparts so if you go long distances it's easy to find miles and miles of two lane highway with very few cars because, except for local traffic, they're all on the bigger highway. If you want dirt paths (and i usually do) they're everywhere most of the roads between farms and all of the farm/hunting preserve roads are dirt so it's easy to stitch together whatever you want. When I rode from Valencia to Madrid I got pretty much everything, beach, mountains, desert, city, countryside. My only touring complaint (and it's stupid) is that in most of spain there is a small village about every 60km in every direction so it's hard to really get isolated. On little trips I won't even take my camping gear because the hostels in any given town are usually cheap enough to justify leaving the extra weight at home.

My bike here is an oldish road bike with 28s on it so I can't comment on mountain biking yet but it's super popular and the trail systems seem extensive.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    This sounds fab. I wish I had been into biking when I was in Spain.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK