Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorjohn89
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2016

When searching for the best road bike under $500, there are four things that you should consider: the bike’s comfort, the bike’s frame, the bike’s wheels, and the bike’s efficiency.

A mountain biker on Stack Exchange once said that “what becomes clear is that the mountain bike’s geometry is not designed for comfortable riding for more than a few hours.” He went on to say, “After 20 miles or so my back starts to hurt and I desperately wish I could lean down and do that ‘resting on the handlebars’ pose that you see road riders doing.
    ROAD BIKE FRAME
    When looking for the best road bike under 500 you want to find a frame that’s light, but also sturdy. Road bikes have four common frames: steel, titanium, carbon and aluminum.

Steel frames are comfortable, durable and pretty inexpensive. Unfortunately, they weigh more, which would slow you down, and some do rust.
    Titanium frames have a similar weight to aluminum and are just as comfortable as steel and carbon frames while being extremely durable. However, titanium-framed bikes are insanely expensive and can cost up to $8,000.
    Carbon frames are durable, comfortable and light. The downside is that they do cost a lot more, almost as much as titanium-framed bikes.
    Aluminum frames are sturdy and light, which make them excellent for racing or traveling longer distances at faster speeds. They are also shock absorbing, and won’t crack or rust easy. Aluminum provides great efficiency at a more economical price. You can read more about bike frames here.

WHEELS
    Most road bikes have thinner tires while mountain bikes have thicker tires. In an article that Exploratorium wrote about bicycle tires, they mentioned that on a hard asphalt surface thinner tires won’t flatten much.

The less the tire flattens at the bottom, the less surface area is in contact with the road. Less contact means less friction, and more speed.

EFFICIENCY

When you are looking to buy the best road bike under $500 You want a bike that minimizes your effort and increases your comfort when cycling. Compared to mountain bikes, road bikes give you better efficiency by allowing you to travel further distances quicker, with minimal effort.

Drop handlebars – for multiple hand positions and plenty of space to rest your arms when you’re tired.
    A more upright riding position – that makes longer rides more comfortable.
    Frames made from aluminum – which makes the bike lighter and increases riding speeds. A user on Meta-filter noted that when he owned a mountain bike the furthest distance he could travel was 16 mph, but when he switched over to a road bike he was now able to travel 18-20 mph.
    Tires – thinner tires for less contact and friction with the road. Road bikes usually come in 700c tires that are durable and lightweight, and that helps increase riding speeds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

#john89
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Soon it will just be robots talking to robots: the Bfixed Singularity.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2016

Wow, it's starting threads now? It is getting stronger.

It will be ready soon. Ready for what? The mind boggles. But if our new robot overlords are into bicycles, the apocalypse is OK by me.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    http://forums.bicycletutor.com/user-5168.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2016 edited

toy4x4runner:http://forums.bicycletutor.com/user-5168.html

I think John89 has killed and inserted its endoskeleton into the skin of an attorney from Houston, TX. Rmull already figured this out. This Google Image Search proves it.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus