Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2018

Crimp these stupid fuckers over a table, because when you drop them they'll bounce into another dimension and you won't be able to finish your project until you figure out what the fuck they are and buy more.

"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2018

Update: Nat found it, project saved! I guess I have 4 bikes with dynamos now?! Sweeeet

Also, I thought I remembered this thread existing, but didn't come up in a search. What'd y'all learn today?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2018

TIL (ok it was yesterday now, i just woke up) that one of my work barn cats is extra good at catting (caught a bird while i watched) and another super sucks at catting (fell from a loft and landed on her side)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Ugh i need to fix my rear dynamo-powered light. Front one works fine so it's either the light or some cord issue.

It's risky but sometimes dropping a second one and watching how it bounces and what it looks like against the floor helps you find the first one.

^hahaDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    our cats love chasing flies and the odd moth. One of 'em actually caught a fly which was pretty impressive. I assume they got the moth too since they were chasing it when I went to bed and it was gone in the morning.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2018

Nandy: Also, I thought I remembered this thread existing, but didn't come up in a search. What'd y'all learn today?

possibly the today i love thread you remembered?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2018

I thought there was another one, but maybe people often post things they learn in that one? Idk"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2018

Today I Learned that a lot of the "streets" I see on the map of my new neighborhood are really gravel lanes that inevitably end in a giant climb. Fun for weekend exploration, not so much for morning commutes to the (hourly) ferry.

Oh hey, did I mention that I live on an island now? It's a bit weird.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

real downer if you learned that at the wrong time

TIL our goats don't currently have lice (goats apparently just mostly always do) but we talked about lice long enough that i was still twitchin and imagining things for ages. the goats got vaccines and holy shiiiit one of them screamed SO MUCH what a giant melodramatic bullshitterThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I felt like that melodramatic goat trying to bust ass to catch my ferry this morning after my unintended gravel adventure. Made it with 1 minute to spare!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^^haha time to make a screaming goat youtube edit

^well done! I think I'm jealous that you live on an island but I don't know if I could handle the extra logistics right now. Sometimes I think if we lived even one block further from MiniFries' school we'd be totally screwed.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2018 edited

It's an hour and fifteen minutes door to door, including the 35-minute ferry ride. Definitely some logistics involved but so far I'm digging it. However, there's not a single fucking flat road anywhere on my commute, which looks roughly like this:

___
    /
    /
    /
    /
    __ /
    \_ / \ /
    \_/ \ /
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2018 edited

whoops wrong thread hmm what to edit this to...

TIL in 1930 there were a total of 2 non-white farmers in this county (Which was very farmer heavy)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2018

Damn, where do you live now? That sounds pretty fun to have a good chunk of reading time plus bikes commute."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2018

I live outside Seattle on Bainbridge Island. Really pretty though apparently we need to sometimes watch out for stray bears and cougars!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    A+ ASCII elevation mapDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2018

Twas not easy to format!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2018

freshwater lobster exist, and are a pretty blue mostly (some white ones too)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2018 edited

a_lion:another super sucks at catting (fell from a loft and landed on her side)

surprisefries:It's risky but sometimes dropping a second one and watching how it bounces and what it looks like against the floor helps you find the first one.
    Lulzsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2018

hah stop breaking my cats in your mind!

someone else on the ride i did today had the same bike as me and today i re-learned how sexy that bike is <3 (could take or leave the guy, but the bike is so nice lookin')That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    lolllDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2018

spent the weekend at a mtb skills clinic, camping for the first time since one night in brownies, and what i have learned is 1) i would rather sleep in my car in a walmart parking lot than in a tent somewhere nature-y, and 2) eeeeh maybe i'm more like an unpaved rail trail person than a fun mtb adventures personThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Haha, we spent last last weekend in a cabin in VT with another family and one of them was super not a nature person either. I get it. We had a campfire though and after everyone else was in bed, I fell asleep in a chair beside the fire for who knows how long- it was glorious.

Also rail trails are really really fun.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2018

oh yeah also there weren't smores which feels like a huge failure on the part of the people organizing the weekend. fires are nice. but soooo are beds with bathrooms a short, indoor walk awayThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2018

Today I Learned/Love 160mm 105 11 speed cranks are going to be available in a few months and I'm SO EXCITED. I've been switching most bikes I ride frequently over to bmx cranks because I ain't buying $400 Zinns any time soon. This is huge. Now if we could just bring proportional wheels back!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2018

^Really! I like it when companies decide to make more than 4 crank lengths, expecially in the less expensive groups. I haven’t crank shopped recently, but it seems like 177.5 and 180 are on their way out in terms of popularity, and eventually I would have to get some boutique-y $400 thing.

Anyway I’m in Little Rock, AR this week for work, and I’m driving along this office/industrial strip and passsed by a huge building with ORBEA on the side of it. I was like wtf, that can’t be the Spanish bike company, but turns out Orbea US is in good old Little Rock!
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2018

One more think about cranks, I checked Peter White Cycles, and he sells TA Carmina cranks in 155, 160, 162.5, etc. Unfortunately they’re getting up there; $250 for cranks, and around $100 for the spider w/o chainrings. I guess I can’t complain too much about the unavailability of long cranks, tho, because it’s basically because I have an illusion that they make me go faster, and not because they fit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2018

My crank lengths have been all over because bike designers rarely give a fuck about small bikes, but I'd been slowly changing everything to 165 when I went on a 120 mile tandem ride on 170s and toward the end I was all "holy fuck these cranks are long, I feel ridiculous" and found Zinn's site and tried their crank to leg length equation that said I should be on 155-160s and tried it and loved it. I feel like I get less tired on those sizes and have more power. Now I do 160 for road and 155 on track bikes.

Origin8 and Profile make a bunch of affordable square taper options on the shorter side, fyi"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2018

not technically bike paths, but this city that's got hundreds of miles of golf cart trails also has bikes on those trails that connect pretty much everything... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcVGqtmd2wMThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2018

That's pretty cool"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2019

we've all at some point seen a bike powered blender, right? cuz today i learned that there are horse powered treadmills that, sure, do farm related stuff or whatever, but also (their example still) can turn an ice cream churn. my new farm stand business plan is fully horse-powered frappes!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    hahaha, would buy

Probably nice to exercise the horses too? Especially in the winter.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2019

Just so long as the ice cream part is churned far enough away from the horse part. Also, wouldn't it be hard to control the butter factor if you're using actual horse-power?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

surprisefries:Probably nice to exercise the horses too? Especially in the winter.

who wants HORSE FRAPPE in winter though? shit's cold! but yes you are correct, good exercise when they're not otherwise working

nerdo: Also, wouldn't it be hard to control the butter factor if you're using actual horse-power?

i'm not sure why horse power would make it more likely to turn to butter than when hyperactive kids are cranking the churn? if you're worried about spinning to fast, well, mess with gear ratios or something? people have made it work! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSDeg__z7mIThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

This reminds me of kitchen dogs

I really want to see someone hook up a spin class to churn ice cream!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

spin 'n win!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    holy shit i think you are onto something here. like you make the ice cream and the more calories you burn, the more ice cream you get at the end?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2019

No, the ice cream is for people who don't do spin classes.

jk, but my main interactions with spin classes have been that one driver in Boston who almost killed me and then said "I would never hurt a biker! I know how hard it is, I go to spin classes!" and the fuckin BMW SUVs that park outside the spin place on my commute here that make me have to merge into the other lane to get around them. I'm sure some normal people take these classes too, but rich pricks really stand out."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2019

^I've got one word for that: Bikebus

Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2019

haha confusing and gross

my mom just started spin, to be in shape for our bike trip end of the summer, and one of the days she goes the instructor is like 350 pounds and says get up but doesn't do it himself...how inspiring =[That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    oi

okay fine the ice cream is for us! Which is better anyway 'cause I have zero interest in spin classes. But if there were free ice cream...DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2019

^^^ I hate that someone (probably a few people) thought that was a good enough idea to make happen.

"let's take the bus but without having to see the poors and it smells like a gym and it only holds like 6 of us"

do they actually go anywhere or do they just do a loop and get off back at their suburban parking lot?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    imagine trying to spin on a bus in boston trafficDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Ugh, I did some fake-spin classes at a Y for awhile when I was super out of shape and stuck in the burbs, and they were mostly fun, but every now and again the usual instructors were out and they'd have a lady who was apparently super popular at a local spin studio sit in... those classes sucked so bad. Absolutely nothing to do with actual cycling.

It's never too late to hate on spin classes.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2019

when i did it in wy, it was with very old people (someone's great grandmother on an oxygen tank included), and the end of class included (very light) weights on the bike... i don't know that it was 'real' spinning, but it was kinda the first thing i started when i was transitioning from a 30lb weight gain to a 50lb loss, so...active enoughThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    I do credit those Y classes with getting me in good enough shape to transition from cycling to running.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2019

oh man being in bike shape has so little to do with being in running shape (at least how it feels) - get good at biking, run 1 block and collapse in a heap...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2019 edited

I heard that running does help with biking more than biking helps with running. ^^Thats interesting, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

why run? Is your bike broken? Sounds terrible"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^^I was fastest on my bike when I was also running. Anecdotal evidence.

TIL that people in Seattle never use salt on the roads so after one inch of snow, the island I live on is shut down and all the roads are a sheet of ice. Fun times.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)