Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpapi
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008

well, new for me.(oh and i actually got it two days ago but who's counting?)
    jamis eclipse. 853 reynolds, time carbon fork, 105 cranks, brifters, deraileurs and brakes, fsa seatpost stem and handlebar, my destroyed slr saddle, cheap wheels to be replaced come summer time. Nothing fancy, but feels solid at under 20lbs, and i got it cheap enough that i won't be scared to actually ride it.

people should def. start getting new bikes asap so we can keep this thread alive.I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    sexual intercourse: the bike?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    good job!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

yay road bikes!

pretty soon we'll need to change the site to bostongeared.us/forums
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

^ naw I like that the site makes me think that "boston" somehow "fixed" whatever the hell is wrong with all of "us"
    ^oh shit! wait. fixed as in repaired or neutered? dear god, i hope it's the former.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008 edited

Yeah, I thought that was you earlier on Charles at Boylston earlier, Javier. I would have said hey, if you didn't look like you were dominating traffic around you, and I was getting ready to run the light after you's all passed. The bike looks good.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

nice jav! once the weather gets nicer we should see if we can bring back the bfixed road rides.
    I'm working on a bike right now, and will post when it's FINALLY done.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Lets roll Jav, Team Jamis!!! I will probably ride this weekend if my lungs arent full of mucous as they are now, you down?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

^YES!! riding around today I realized how out of shape i've gotten the past couple months..so I'm down for fun/training rides whenevers.I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    • CommentAuthorjohnderson
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008

estratton:I'm working on a bike right now, and will post when it's FINALLY done.

I am also working on a bike so...+1
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

johnderson:
    estratton:I'm working on a bike right now, and will post when it's FINALLY done.

+who isn't these days.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

buckley:
    johnderson:

+who isn't these days.

+1 i need to stop ordering parts from bike shops though i've been waiting for parts since octoberEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

what part are you waiting on?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

cranks and bottom bracketEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    ^what kind?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008

sugino rd's and sugino bottom bracket im going to the shop today to talk to them and ill probably get my money back and go else where.Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    http://www.bikeparts.com seems to be priced fairly well. I have some Sugino RD's for my gf, but need to order the BB, as well as most other components.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorweapon x
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008 edited

I finally finished my winter beater build. It's an old Fuji Sports 12 that my buddy gave me. He'd already sanded it down, so I got the cablehangers etc off, and painted 'er up. Weighing in at just under $75 ... didn't spend more than 15 bucks on any given part. Thanks to Graham for the deal on the saddle and stem, they're working out nicely. And I also gotta give a shout out to Park Sales on Somerville Ave, that dude is great. I got those old Puch fenders for 10 bucks, and when the struts were a little short he rummaged around and found some random eyelet-straps to use as extenders. Most everything else was scrounged together from what I had in the basement. This was my first time building a bike up from nothing, and it was a lot of fun, and works like a charm, especially for my daily commute to school. I've considered getting a silver basket for the front. I'm also debating if I should throw on some skinwalls to make it look even more like an old cruiser. Any thoughts?
    mess with the best, die like the rest
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

^that's pretty awesome man.. a nice basket would be sweet
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

are those 700c? the whole thing looks tiny. nice bike.I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    •  
      CommentAuthorweapon x
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008

javier:are those 700c? the whole thing looks tiny. nice bike.

Yeah, they're 700c. I actually had a 27 1/4 on the front [because that's the extra I had lying around] but it got super out of true, and my buddy that got a truing stand for Christmas has yet to have time to true it, thus I pulled the 700c off of my IRO. I wouldn't mind trading someone the 27 for another 700, but then I'd also need a long reach brake, I haven't been using this one, since it hits the sidewalls.
    If I remember correctly it's a 54cm frame [or thereabouts] but you're right, it does look smaller in the picture.

Morgie:^that's pretty awesome man.. a nice basket would be sweet

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with how well it turned out. I started just throwing stuff together for riding in the crap weather, but I was able to easily find some parts that look decent together [despite still being cheap, mostly generic, junk].mess with the best, die like the rest
    weapon x:

nice ride man.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorweapon x

^ Thanks. It's been fun so far. I need to get a sealed BB, but I gotsta measure this one first, and I'm too lazy to take it apart again since I finally got it up and running.mess with the best, die like the rest
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

while we're on the topic of new bikes, heres a new build of mine, constructed of mostly spare parts.

•  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008

^Nice..
    ^^what frame is that? langster?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

weapon x:^ Thanks. It's been fun so far. I need to get a sealed BB, but I gotsta measure this one first, and I'm too lazy to take it apart again since I finally got it up and running.

yo I was just look'in through ur picasa album and I saw the 'craziest crank set ever", I've got one of those in my back yard right now.. it is totally weird I agree, and kinda pointsless
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

estratton:^^what frame is that? langster?

I suspect it's an IRO Jamie Roy w/ a Group Buy forkdongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorweapon x

Morgie:
    weapon x:^ Thanks. It's been fun so far. I need to get a sealed BB, but I gotsta measure this one first, and I'm too lazy to take it apart again since I finally got it up and running.

yo I was just look'in through ur picasa album and I saw the 'craziest crank set ever", I've got one of those in my back yard right now.. it is totally weird I agree, and kinda pointsless

I totally thought the same at first, but after some research I changed my mind, and I totally want one on my mountain bike [though not such low quality, more like xt-xtr] so I could easily switch gears on the descent when there's a really quick ascent coming up. Things like that it would be pretty rad. Not necessary, but I think it woulda caught on better if they'd marketed it a little better.
    I want to get a fixed 650c for that bike so the wifey can ride single speed through the front freewheel.
    But it is definitely bizarre.
    -side note: I bought the bike off a high school kid in Southie who said he'd tried to get a job as a messenger but nobody would hire him, it was kinda funny.mess with the best, die like the rest
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobs

they make bb based freewheels still, they're popular for trials.
    •  
      CommentAuthorweapon x
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008

^ That's interesting, is there a particular reason why they like them for trials? I can't quite think of what a benefit would be for it.mess with the best, die like the rest
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008

^trials and mountains..? i guess I can see it.. but I've only ever seen it on shitty older road/crusier bikes
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobs
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008

from wiki:

Front freewheels can currently be found on bikes used for bike trials riding. Putting the freewheel on the crank allows some weight to be taken off the rear hub, centering the weight of the bike a little more, making it easier to lift the back wheel as well as simplifying the rear hub, allowing the bearings to sit as far outboard as possible, reducing bending on the hub axle. Because bikes with this set up are almost always singlespeed none of the gear shifting issues that arose in geared systems are problems with this arrangement. The reason for the adoption of front freewheels is likely to be due to the availability of extremely strong screw-on BMX freewheels before the advent of specific components for trials bikes. In fitting the freewheel to the cranks rather than to the back hub a smaller chainring size was possible at the cranks with a gear ratio suitable for trials, increasing the ground clearance of the bike. BMX freewheels could also carry more torque and were cheaper than mountain bike designed systems at the time front freewheels were introduced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobs
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008 edited

i've been thinking for years about using one of the fixed cassette trials hubs for a work wheel, but they only come in 135 usually.
    i think the guy from newyork had one of those on his polo bike. i think his name is john? has the "ghetto spoke" front wheel red nishiki ect pretty cool idea for a polo bike because i guess you get really good gear rations out of itride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008

seeeee, pete?
    why did you delete petes thread!!!!!!!!!!!! not fair!!!!!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorRob Gigantic
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008 edited

^Now that you somebody deleted his thread, your Lauren's comment makes no sense anymore. Poor Pete. Now he'll never get his own new bike day.Word nerd
    ^ i know!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    i know, power trip anyone?there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    then figure out who did it and talk to themPh'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    there are two other moderators online according to the left bar thingy, morgan (Inigo Montoya) and Lauren (ratattack). there's lag in the system regarding people leaving the page, so it pretty much means that they were on when it happened. shoot them each a whisper, or hope that they'll chime in or something.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i'd like to go on record as saying it wasn't me. i'd tease pete about it, but i wouldn't delete it.

i'd also like to go on record as saying i hate all the shit that "slides" in this place.

i wish there was a way to stop this forum from it's imminent decline into bikeforums.
    Morgan, speak up. it wasn't myself or Lauren, and according to Mr. Holmes (Sherlock that is) its you!Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    ^ to be honest i do not think there would be as many people on this forum if all we talked about was gear ratios and who we saw riding down the street. xothere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

I brought it back! leave me alone!