Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008 edited

not quite a new bike..but close enough. bunch of new parts & setup on an old frame.

same beat to shit old frame & turbo saddle
    new: front wheel, rear wheel, cranks, bb, chainring, bars, stem, pedals, tape, tires, frame pump, etc.

cranks & pedals: shimano 600
    tires: conti gp 3000s
    rear wheel: durace on open pro
    wine cork bar plugs
    no crank dust caps

mad props to rob gigantic for the rear wheel uber-hookup!

sorry to monopolize this thread today.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008

estratton:Presenting Julie's bike....

Terrible pic, but gets the idea across. She likes it which is what matters. It's a single speed.

Change the frame to a blue Schwinn traveler and the pink chain to a black chain and your gf Julie and my gf Eve have pretty good doppleganger bikesHey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    Soft T-Rex:
    estratton:Presenting Julie's bike....

Terrible pic, but gets the idea across. She likes it which is what matters. It's a single speed.

Change the frame to a blue Schwinn traveler and the pink chain to a black chain and your gf Julie and my gf Eve have pretty good doppleganger bikes

Lol. Well I am likely going to change the stem for something shorter, or maybe even an adjustable for her. May end up with different bars depending on what makes her comfortable.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2008

yeah, that saddle angle plus stem length look very off.
    Saddle angle was adjusted (leveled) after that picture. Had just thrown it on at that point.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorMcDonald
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008 edited

Was out of commission for a while, now back up and running to get me to and from school. Still too small, will sell it in the next few months probably and get a new (properly fitting) bike. It's pink and very sparkly and was painted and originally built up by a friend, basically the only reasons I keep hanging on to it.

Before:
    THE BIKE BEFORE IT GOT RUINED

After (with not much change):
    MY BIKE
    my dad just found an old trek 850 antelope frameset on the side of the road and picked it up for me. i read a little on it, and i think it might be tange tubing, double butted. i'm trying to decide if i should build this up for the girl (nice little utilitarian city bike), or do something else with it. decisions. either way, seems like a pretty decent frame. unfortunately, it's just the frame--even needs a new headset, though that shouldn't be hard to find. i just wanna try to keep this cheap. is it worth it?

thoughts/ideas?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2008

nah don't bother, from what i remember the 850 was just a basic hybrid? or maybe i'm mistaken. but in any case no point putting a lot of money into an old bike for the cost of a new bike. if you have tons of parts laying around, sure, but if you have to buy a lot, nah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2008 edited

^^if you can do it cheaply, turn it into a polo bike. the(n) come play bike polo.I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    polo bike was the other idea.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    happy new bike day for me!
    2006 langster comp on wicked sale at landry's, had 'em put a front brake and freewheel cog on it just in case, but i'm loving the fixed (it's my first)

needs a name!

first ride, meandering around brookline:
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    PS. how do youn's feel about clips/straps on fixed? i can't get in the damn things once i'm riding. guess i just need to practice. too cheap/poor to go clipless right now.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorMcDonald

I think it definitely is practice. I use a stock pedal on my left and a pedal with clip and strap on my right (more powerful foot/leg), because I also got frustrated getting my feet in and out of both. One works nicely, and I know a few other people who rock it that way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorg0balistik

^ ^^both of you are noobs. it takes about a week maximum to master.
    +1. riding with one is just silly, and riding without 'em is unsafe.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

go clipless, eff that clips and straps bullshit.
    • CommentAuthorCole

^ i would like too.

^^ conor is right, get those NOW, good thing you have a brake.
    • CommentAuthorMcDonald
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008

g0balistik:^ ^^both of you are noobs. it takes about a week maximum to master.

I have been riding (fixed) for a few years, a few of those with clips and straps. It's not that I can't, I just don't like having both my feet in all the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgazzer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008 edited

new bike day!
    got back from being abroad last week and my parents got me this for graduation, been too busy riding it to put it up. 2008 team soloist built up with the ultegra 10 set. i saw mr. o town got one recently as well and i wouldn't say it's not that exciting, but it's definitely the nicest bike i could afford within my price range and it took a while to find the finish i wanted. this bike is awesome.

finally worth wearing my clipless
    You know, if I were to die right now, in some sort of fiery explosion due to the carelessness of a friend...well, that would just be ok.
    yep i'm a fixie n00b, that's why i'm asking. just having trouble getting my second foot into the clip once i'm going. practice practice. any tips?

and i wouldn't dream of riding fixed (esp for the first time) sans brake.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^
    Step 1: Go to big parking lot, or basketball court, or the CSC...any big open area with no cars.
    Step 2: Practice.
    Step 3: Repeat as necessary.Word nerd
    haha, pretty much what i was expecting to hear.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

Dear Noobz.

Get rid of teh crap pedals, and buy something designed by someone with skillz, not the cheap-o carp that came with your bottom dollar bike. gr-9's have tabs for getting in, better bearings than any other part on your bike, and will last longer than you will ride them. And yes, don't be a complete moron, buy clips and straps for your pedals if you can't afford/don't want clipless.

<3's and pedals
    •  
      CommentAuthorfluff

gazzer that looks nice

suprisefries...one of the nicer looking langsters ive seen....i might check out those veloorange pedals
    McDonald:
    g0balistik:^ ^^both of you are noobs. it takes about a week maximum to master.

I have been riding (fixed) for a few years, a few of those with clips and straps. It's not that I can't, I just don't like having both my feet in all the time.

but you lose so much power that way, especially on hills.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    whoa, $29 kind of negates my poor/cheap argument. i'll check 'em out, thanks dudes.

so...here's where i ask y'all to humor me and not hate on the n00b- most everyone (here and elsewhere) is all about clips or clipless and says platforms are dumb on a fixie. but nobody's really said why. i know there's better power transfer and your feet won't slip off the pedals, but is there an argument particular to fixed gears?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^+1[all your base are belong to us]
    I think it only really matters if you only have a front brake (or no brakes, obviously). The implication with a front-only handbrake setup is that you're using simultaneous back-pedaling and/or skidding to even out the braking pressure, thus preventing the endo over your handlebars situation with sudden stops. And you can do that more effectively if your feet are connected to the pedals.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008 edited

what rob said
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

ride the way ya want. ain't no thang.
    gazzer, i have the carbon soled mtb version of those shoes and a fucking love them.

also, that cervelo is fuckin' raaaaaaad.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

boundgear:Dear Noobz.

Get rid of teh crap pedals, and buy something designed by someone with skillz, not the cheap-o carp that came with your bottom dollar bike. gr-9's have tabs for getting in, better bearings than any other part on your bike, and will last longer than you will ride them. And yes, don't be a complete moron, buy clips and straps for your pedals if you can't afford/don't want clipless.

<3's and pedals

i have these on my beater, they are great. i have a pair of the sylvan track pedals ready to go on my new whip, but i've never ridden on them. i think they're in the same price range and also have tabs.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasso

Went clipless a while ago and have a hard time going back to clips and straps. Maybe mine just suck but I love clipless on the fixed gearThere's always money in The Banana Stand
    •  
      CommentAuthorgazzer

^^@dan
    thanks, and yeah these shoes are stupid awesome, i kind of wish i got the mtb ones b/c i feel like i beat the shit out of the carbon soles on these but i just try not to think about itYou know, if I were to die right now, in some sort of fiery explosion due to the carelessness of a friend...well, that would just be ok.
    +1 to MKS GR9's. Once I fitted mine with the correct sized clip, they're just as responsive as a cheap set of clipless pedals and MTB shoes.

I got sick of bringing an extra pair of shoes and a bag whenever I needed to get some place.A man becometh what he thinketh.
    that cervelo looks a wee bit small.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

^^^^^ (re: andrew, quote button not working)
    Sylvan's are rebuildable, but are less comfortable than GR-9's for riding with soft sole shoes. They are slightly wider though. I've been thrashing mine doing pedals grinds, and will probably need a new set b y august, but they lasted 2 years of normal riding and still roll smoother than jebus.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorgazzer

kilgore_trout:that cervelo looks a wee bit small.

cervelo's fit a bit odd i think, but that's a 54 and fits me perfectly (i'm 5'7 arguably 5'8), that pic is right out of the box, now the seat post is about 4-5 inches higher. a woman at a high end shop here in philly tried to tell me i needed a 51 according to her cervelo "chart" since i couldn't stand over one without it being considered a professional $150 fitting. yeah walked right out of there. glad i found a shop willing to let me figure out my correct size for no extra chargeYou know, if I were to die right now, in some sort of fiery explosion due to the carelessness of a friend...well, that would just be ok.
    gazzer:new bike day!
    got back from being abroad last week and my parents got me this for graduation, been too busy riding it to put it up. 2008 team soloist built up with the ultegra 10 set. i saw mr. o town got one recently as well and i wouldn't say it's not that exciting, but it's definitely the nicest bike i could afford within my price range and it took a while to find the finish i wanted. this bike is awesome.

HOTTTT.

The internal routing is a nice touch.But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfluff

anyone have issues with the mks gr9s in the rain? ive read they are a tad slippy
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

^ no sir. i guess you might have some issues if you didn't have toe clips, but i never have.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    •  
      CommentAuthorfluff

k maybe time to bury my $10 nashbar pedals haha
    DannyRocks:I've been thrashing mine doing pedals grinds, and will probably need a new set b y august, but they lasted 2 years of normal riding and still roll smoother than jebus.

pedal grinds? really? i wanna see this.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008 edited

so i rode out to holliston on monday and laid down the dough and now antbike mike's got me in line for a whip. prolly about 10 months. "light roadster". shimano nexus 8 speed, big ol' front rack, generator hub n' lights, 26" wheels. i'm fuckin' chuffed.
    • CommentAuthorboundgear
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008

Dearest bruno.

You are buying my bike, or rather, the bike I wish were mine. Be prepared for me to follow you around like a puppy dog till you give it to me.

<3's and stalking.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I actually backed out of that bike at the last minute.
    It's a great bike though.
    Definitely the best bike for the bucks in my opinion.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorCole

^^ brunop you ride to holliston much? im looking for someone to ride out that way with on the weekends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008

^ i ride out that way a lot. sudbury, lincoln, marlborough, sometimes down to rhode island up to lowell, out to wachusett. all over. this weekend i'm doin' that BNB ride. if i'm not in da mountains, i usually do a longish (70-80) ride on sundays. early, man, i gets up early though.
    • CommentAuthorCole
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008

i usually go 6pm friday or early saturday. i go beacon st to rt 16 into Milford, then somewhere in Milford from there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfluff
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008

i saw that whip at ace last night. looked real nice.