Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2014

i'm not too fond of trolls, but this is the best one i've seen and the panniers look rad!
    It's an Ogre! I call it Graeme Ogree!
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2014

is that a custom bar bag different than the one online?
    seems like it has a map pocket and no roll top...i like it...any reason to mount it higher/off the bars rather than use the front rack?
    It is different than the one on the web site. The one on the website is for a porteur rack, which can hold 50+ pounds and is the size of a small backpack. The one on the Ogre is much smaller and intended to hold snacks and my wallet while on tour. max weight for this bag is probably only around 5 or so pounds. also, It mounts to the handlebars instead of a rack.
    friggin' sweet, dude.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2014

wooooohh dustin!!!!!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2014

Awesome, love the color scheme with the bags. The link isn't working anymore, it was earlier today.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    New bike day. Just picked it up. More pics later.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2014

That looks a *lot* like Paolo's Raleigh 3-speed. Is it a Raleigh, or maybe a Robin Hood?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Yeah, there is a mix of some different stuff on it. I'll post full info/pics when I get home later.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    pocky:That looks a *lot* like Paolo's Raleigh 3-speed. Is it a Raleigh, or maybe a Robin Hood?

So here’s what I’ve got on this.

For along time I’ve wanted a something “period” for the WWII living history stuff I do. Money has always been an issue. While I would love to have an actual Truppenfahrrad (German military bike), even if I did, it is not something I would ever use due to historical value. A Swiss military bike is the next best option, as they are almost identical to the truppenfahrrads. However, the Swiss bikes are becoming harder to find (and more expensive). Thus, a civilian capture seemed to be the most viable option. So, what kind to get, and what to look for?

By 1913, Raleigh was claimed to be the biggest bicycle manufacturing company in the world, and had a 7-½ acre manufacturing plant in Nottingham, that soon became much larger. By 1913, let alone the start of the war, their bicycles would have been all over Europe. My goal for the bike project was come up with some type of captured civilian bike, which would have been quickly converted for military use. If that were to happen, there is very good chance that the bike would have been a Raleigh. Thus, this is what I was looking for. Today I got the above bike for real, real cheap. The seller was unsure as to what the manufacture was. When I first saw photos of this bike, I guessed it was prolly a Raleigh. The rear hub is a Sturmey-Archer. The serial code indicates the hub was produced in 1966. This could be a replacement hub for an earlier frame, who knows. It is a very safe bet, however, that it is a 1960s Raleigh. There is no indication of brand anywhere else on the frame.

Looking at the Raleigh 1939 catalogue, there is little cosmetic difference in these style of frames. Thus, with some work, and switching a few things out, this will be a viable “civilian capture” bike. More pics will be posted as the project advances. The big oddities with the bike I bought are the JC Higgins shifter, the German rack on the rear, and the painted graphics on the seat tube (post pics of that later).

(If anyone can correct me on any of that history, please do so!)All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014 edited

New Bike Day! (For real this time)

I call it the Frankensteamer. Its a modified Surly Steamroller with a stay splitter and braze-ons brazed in. Belt drive with a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub. Salsa Bell Lap Bars. I might try Retroshift levers down the road.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    so awesomesomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    seanile mick:so awesome
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014

Super practical city bike. I love it.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

This bike is rad! Be wary of sturmey 5 speeds, they are some of the most finnicky IGH's out there. If the shift cable tension is allowed to slacken and it's ridden without perfect cable adjustment a small part inside the axle will quickly wear and the hub will be useless in a few weeks.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

I still haven't managed to get the tension right and the 5th gear feels like its grinding. When I go from 2 to 3 it feels like it skips 3 and goes to 4, so I have to shift to 4 and go back down to 3. I might try and find a shop around here (nova) that's good with SA to help me adjust it.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    Josh at Cambridge Bikes will overhaul your IGH for free.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

This goes for all bicycle-related overhauls
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Rob, whisper me your email and I will forward you an email from sturmey re: 5 speed adjustment
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

paul jameson:Josh at Cambridge Bikes will overhaul your IGH for free.

Unfortunately I live in Arlington, VA right now. Nova is Northern Virginia.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^he travels.
    paul jameson:Josh at Cambridge Bikes will overhaul your for free.

Fixed. Direct objects are overrated. This verb ^ is universal.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

Annnnnd I got hit by a car on the ride home from work and the bike is totalled. I'm fine though.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    D:i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

what!? the new one? fuuuuuuuuuuck.
    sorry dude. glad you're ok at least.
    God damnit! That thing was classy as shit while it lasted.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

Didn't someone else have their new bike wrecked the next day?A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    Oh what the fuck.
    Glad youre good

At least you dont have to worry about adjusting the igh now?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2014

that solves that...? sorry bro.
    • CommentAuthormfratt
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014 edited

Scored this late 80's Olmo frameset from a dude in JP for a song. Columbus SL tubing, 130mm spacing and recessed brake mounts for a modern drivetrain. I was going to build it up with its own stuff, but since my Planet X is on the fritz until my new derailleur hanger comes in from England, I decided to just rebuild those components onto it. I've gotta admit, steel > carbon, and on a built bike, the difference in weight feels negligible.

I'm planning on slowly upgrading the Rival drivetrain to be a Red/Force mix. Basically, Red shifters and cranks, Force everything else.

Also in need of a shorter stem and I'm gonna spring for a Thomson seatpost.

"I'm not going to ride this bike in the rain," says I.
    "Oh light drizzles today, screw it, I wanna ride this thing."
    *Downpour for five hours*
    "FML"
    roburrito:Didn't someone else have their new bike wrecked the next day?

I did, years ago.

Really sorry to hear that dude. At least you're okay. Bikes can be remade. People...not so much.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014

paul jameson:John at Cambridge Bikes will overhaul your IGH for free.

FTFY
    roburrito:Annnnnd I got hit by a car on the ride home from work and the bike is totalled. I'm fine though.

noooo!!!! :( :(Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    mfratt:::sick Olmo::

Scored this late 80's Olmo frameset from a dude in JP for a song. Columbus SL tubing, 130mm spacing and recessed brake mounts for a modern drivetrain. I was going to build it up with its own stuff, but since my Planet X is on the fritz until my new derailleur hanger comes in from England, I decided to just rebuild those components onto it. I've gotta admit, steel > carbon, and on a built bike, the difference in weight feels negligible.

"I'm not going to ride this bike in the rain," says I.
    "Oh light drizzles today, screw it, I wanna ride this thing."
    *Downpour for five hours*
    "FML"

YO THIS BIKE IS NICE.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Craigglesofdoom:
    roburrito:Didn't someone else have their new bike wrecked the next day?

I did, years ago.

Really sorry to hear that dude. At least you're okay. Bikes can be remade. People...not so much.

I blew the fork out on my Santa Cruz a few years ago the day I built it up. Fell while riding wheelies in Rock Death's driveway and ripped the fork in half. Dora witnessed it, and laughed at me when it happened!
    Also, that olmo looks sick!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlitz
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2014 edited

New bike day!

Click for more.

Needs some lovin', which I'd say I'm qualified to provide. Going to build it up as an all-weather commuter.

Big thanks to Alex (rock dathe) at Community Bike for the hook up.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2014

Really sweet dude!A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2014

Glad to see it go to a good home
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2014 edited

Tourer built with ANT, will resize and put up more pics later. Omg it's so awesome and fits so perfect."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    DO IT NOW I MUST SEEEDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2014

nice !"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2014

New racquet day! Does anyone want to hit this week?
     photo 90fba8b1-b886-411d-b91e-c9b9e8229d3f_zpse8e4e699.jpg
    ryan t:New racquet day! Does anyone want to hit this week?
     photo 90fba8b1-b886-411d-b91e-c9b9e8229d3f_zpse8e4e699.jpg

This is a weird looking bike. Is that like a new fangled tension disk?

Like so...

I like the white bar tape though. Super pro.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    ^ 3,2,1, POLO!'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2014

"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Wait, what?? Whose corgis are those??Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    way nice, yoDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthortristan

Sweeeeeet. I really like that you built these yourselves. Pretty much ultimate touring bikes. How does the kickstand work when your panniers are loaded? How does that generator-light-guard interact with the panniers? The front rack in general seems kinda crazy to me. I'm curious to know how it works.

Totally rad. Also, corgis.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2014

Those are Nat's parents corgis, admiring the bikes.

The kickstand can hold fully loaded panniers, but not a ton of extra weight (like if you strap a bunch of logs to the rack it can bend the plate), and like all kickstands you have to make sure you're on flat ground and evenly weighted, but they seem pretty strong! The light guard is in front of the panniers, that's an extra piece Mike welded on some low rider VO racks while we were away. The bars and saddle will match shortly!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries