Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I had a new bike day on Monday, and then had trouble with the photos. I named it the Mersenne Twister, which is a pseudorandom number generator which has a cool name, but also cause the bike folds. Pictures not that great, but it's dark blue!

My new bike!My new bike!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Did you get the bag for the front?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Yep, hasn't come in the mail yet, tragicallyi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015

SWEEEEEET"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2015 edited

Finished the build (transplant of everything salveageble from poor Svetlana) on Friday and then drove it to my mom's place for a couple of circumscriptions (circumcisions?) of Cape Ann this weekend with my friend who was in town for his high school reunion.

Needs a name. Any suggestions?
     photo 20150706_135731_zpszsvcvvey.jpg  photo 20150706_135809_zps4giih60l.jpg

In case you've never been, this is what Rockport looks like on the 4th of July. It's part townie firemen's parade, part St. Patrick's Day-ish parade, and part Burning Man:
     photo 20150704_210736_LLS_zpsbjurrifl.jpg  photo 20150704_212713_LLS_zps4eqjkpxd.jpg
    That's an outhouse on the top of the wood pile, if that gives you any sense of scale. When it eventually came down in a massive fireball, the thousand or so people standing around cheered and I could hear it clearly from the vantage point in the second photo.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2015

Why do people name bikes?
    It's just a thing

Naming them female people names is especially creepy
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2015 edited

TOO BAD cause that looks like a Marilyn to me

My bikes names are Wes Welker, Daisy, Zipper, The Mersenne Twister and I don't think I've settled on one for the yellow bike yet.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

People name bikes for the same reason that people name ships. Objects, particularly when they are artistic objects, tend to take on personalities as imparted by the artist or as interpreted by the viewer/captain/owner. If that doesn't happen for you, then that's fine! If female people names creep you out, that's a problem for you to address with your shrink. Some of my bikes have male names, some have female names, and some are not gendered.

Ooh, I do like Marilyn! I may go with that. That or Norma Jeane. I was originally thinking maybe something Wisconsin-oriented, but I know very little about Wisconsin and the more I think about it I don't think the name of this bike needs to relate to its location of origin the way Svetlana's did.

I love The Mersenne Twister, btw.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

I'm naming my toilet nuggetross
    pocky:I love The Mersenne Twister, btw.

thx yo! I read about it in some modeling paper like a week after I ordered my Brompton and I was like BOOM DONEi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015 edited

I have to stop being such a wiener and enjoy this thing. It's not THAT far off, and it is pretty sick.

The seat post is black because it was supposedly designed for a setback, so I bought a fucking nitto setback, but that fit better."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015

rock dathe:Why do people name bikes?
    It's just a thing

Also wondered this. Same with cars.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Andy, your bike looks fucking sick. I hope you learn to love it?!YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    ben:
    rock dathe:Why do people name bikes?
    It's just a thing

Also wondered this. Same with cars.

Only one of mine named was my IRO. It was "Betty" as in Black Betty (bam-ba-lam).clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015

EPIC! Stratton:Only one of mine named was my IRO. It was "Betty" as in Black Betty (amber-lamps).
    I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    banana truffles:Andy, your bike looks fucking sick. I hope you learn to love it?!

You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015 edited

thanks y'all, I'm already starting to like it, even if it's not exactly what I was hoping for, but then it'd probably be too perfect to ride.

It'd also be fucking sweet if boys would listen to me. Like,

"I'm thinking those IRD cranks would be fine"
    "OH NO you need 75s"
    "uh, sure" fucking $300 + $120 chainring, most perfectly machined parts in the world and it's basically indistinguishable from everything else

"I'll take that Nitto setback post and buy you a Thomson"
    "I don't want a Thomson, I'd rather have a VO or those Civia ones that have a shinier finish, Thompsons have lines, but this black one is fine for now"
    "No, I'm pretty sure the silver ones are smooth"
    *come home to find a textured silver Thompson in the longest size they make, pretty much the length of my whole seat tube*"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Anyone who thinks a Thomson is better than a VO or similar forged seatpost is a chode
    IRD product is great
    you're too cool to pay retail and whoever sold you those cranks for that much sux
    dudes in the bike industry usually suck
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015 edited

I got a discount, but still, I would have gotten a discount on $150 cranks too and had enough to pay bills.

Nat has some weird hard on for thomsons, I don't get it."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthordoug?

rock dathe:Anyone who thinks a Thomson is better than a VO or similar forged seatpost is a chode
    IRD product is great
    you're too cool to pay retail and whoever sold you those cranks for that much sux
    dudes in the bike industry usually suck

^x100

Boutique brands are for suckers.
    Thomson was great when they made the only 0 setback, one piece post that didn't break. You can get a forged post for half the price now.
    75s were alright when there were only half a dozen track cranks on the market, and they were all close to the same price point.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I liked my 75s but got them used for a huge discount. Some of us clydesdales really need the strength and performance of high-end parts. I've broken way too many bike parts to skimp on strength.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthordoug?

Andy is an absolute monster on a bike, but I'd hardly describe her as a Clydesdale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Sugino 75 cranks aren't really any stronger than other high quality cranks, the reason they cost more is because they are more precise and closer to a perfect circle than other cranks. This factor is unimportant with cranks designed for derailleur use because up and down "runout" is made up for by the pulley wheels.

The difference in roundness and precision between SG75 and IRD is very small, and only noticeable at the highest rider output and cadence. It may mean something to top level racers but it's not very important on the road.

Also, using a Sugino 75 chainring with a cheap chain or cog will remove any performance advantage gained from the precise crank/ring. That's right, if you're using a Kool Chain and Soma cog with 75s you're getting the same performance a cheap set of knockoffs would offer.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015

doug?:Andy is an absolute monster on a bike, but I'd hardly describe her as a Clydesdale.

Calling myself a clydesdale, not Andy.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2015 edited

rock dathe:Anyone who thinks a Thomson is better than a VO or similar forged seatpost is a chode
    IRD product is great

Agreed the IRD is a great product. Whether Thomson is "better" than VO or similar depends on how you define better, they are American made and from a manufacturing standpoint they are machined extremely nicely, to some people that's worth while, but Rock Dathe is correct that won't change the functionality of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2015

New-again bike day:
    I had turned Schwinnie back into a road bike years ago to do a race, and then I took it apart and never built it back up after I got a modern road bike. But it wants to be a Sw33t Fix1e. It *needs* to be a Sw33t Fix1e. Who was I to deny it what it wants to be?
     photo 20150716_181326_zpsh1gfovte.jpg::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I like your weird chainring."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Needs a rasta chain and pink veeps. You should also probably move the brake to the back and your seat angle is too comfortable."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorben

Non-engineer me feels like that chainring is on backward. Wouldn't it make more sense for the struts(?) to be opposing the forces rather than moving with them?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    ^he needs it that way for t3h s1ck skidz, yo.
    ben:Non-engineer me feels like that chainring is on backward. Wouldn't it make more sense for the struts(?) to be opposing the forces rather than moving with them?

nope
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

I considered that, but the bolt indents are on the outside, and that's a 52T ring, so that's the way that ring is supposd to be mounted.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorgc

6kidz:Needs a rasta chain and pink veeps.

this.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2015

HOLY SHIT, I FOUND A DE FIETSFABRIEK FILIBUS!

Sickest bike ever."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    SweeeeetDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2015 edited

View post on imgur.com

Restored Cannondale SR600 (See album on Imgur)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2015

Very nice. Did you paint that?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthormike868y

awesome.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

Nandy:Very nice. Did you paint that?

Nope! I had Pike Powdercoating in Allston do it. Zach is the freaking man...he didn't like the way the first attempt came out so he stripped it back down and made a second (successful) attempt, and even went as far as throwing on an additional clear coat because I had concerns with the durability.

TL;DR Zach @ Pike Powder employs great attention to detail, so throw money at him if you want awesome paint.

Also, shout out to Craig for facilitating the build...and loaning me the most awesome sw33t UA bike for my drunk commutes in the interim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

^ Zach took care of me when I had my frame powder coated twice there. Came out looking very nice. I am happy with it. Havent taken it out much yet though so I dont know about durability yet.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Awesome, I have a frame that needs a paint job. What's the cost, including stripping/sandblasting?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

Idk, he said he was going to raise prices apparently. So probably $180?MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

frame and fork 1 color was ~$230.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2015 edited

Id be a little shy with the attention-to-detail praise if we have multiple accounts of him having to do his work twice (And i know of more off-forum anecdotes as well)somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2015

Mine wasnt his fault that he had to re-do it. But I do know someone off the forum (probably same person as you) that needed his frame re-done.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Eh, I think powder is different than paint. My ant (touring bike, not the one they did) has a little blemish because I probably screwed it up, but you can't really tell that will happen until it comes out of the oven. It might have just been something in the powder you can't catch before. It's not like a factory line of hundreds of products with constantly running color-dedicated sprayers and ovens. I think they're more experienced than just about anyone around and they do fine stuff. That cannondale is a sick color, btw."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

siq wallpaper

nice bike too
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2015 edited

Alright well I guess I should clarify here.

My bike has spots where there's some minor pitting. Paint didn't adhere well the first time, so he stripped it down and he focused on those spots and the paint looks pretty awesome in those areas and you can't see them unless you really inspect the frame.

I could've shipped my bike out to some dude in Florida that came highly recommended from a guy who's hobby is to rebuild cannondale 3.0s but it would've cost me twice as much.

Also, I felt good about myself for supporting a local business. In MY experience, Zach delivered awesome customer service and a product that I'm very satisfied with. I don't know how bad the imperfections/blemishes were in the 'negative' experiences people have had w/ Pike, but it's inevitable that our bikes will have small scratches and shit over time...so who give a fuck? iono.

^ & ^^ Koss, Nandy thanks! I'm loving the bike & what wallpaper?
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2015

Every day should be new bike day

• CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2015

Haha you bought it. I was gonna turn it into a winter beater but was told the fork will only take 23sI have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries