Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2008 edited

Ever since I saw Quicksilver I've wanted to be a messenger.
    I was that kid who showed up periodically at Transerve, hoping someone would hook me up with a job.

When I was 16 I got into road and track racing in a big way.
    Having dropped out of highschool, I made myself a regular at the bike shop where all the messengers went.
    I had a huge crush on this messenger, Natalie.
    I listened to everything Jen had to say because she didn't talk much.
    Her boyfriend scared the shit out of me.

Sacha would help me find rides to races and had an instinct for reading the peloton.

In a way, I was their kid brother by proxy.

A different Jen (who I randomly encountered in a bar my freshman year out here) cut my hair into a sweet mullet.
    Nacho took me out drinking.
    Corey The Kid invited me to a party.
    Robin invited me to race in his alleycat.

Man, when I was 16, I hated everything.
    And they knew it.

Those awsome yellow Brikos that I rawk, a messenger gave 'em to me.
    Same with my first messenger bag, a Chrome, so big I could have lived in it.

When I was old enough, Stumpy Bob gave me my first work delivering ESL packets to every middle school in the city.

But I was never a messenger, not really.
    I've always been a pretendenger, a fakenger, a poser, an internet kid.

And I'm grateful for it.
    -robot[all your base are belong to us]
    • CommentAuthorraff I el
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2008

haha, when i bought my chrome bag, i felt like a poser with a bag big enough to fit my school stuff in. now that i've been working for like a month, i feel like a poser with a job at a messenger company.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    first track bike I ever rode belonged to Robot - he was one of my orientation students!Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn

^ditto. robot, after fessing up to all of this you are not going to self-destruct or anything are you?

[edit] ditto about the first actual ridden track bike being owned by robot, at any given point at least 40% of the parts on my combined two bikes came from robot's basement and were paid for by coffee, bagels, and kindness.(moscow)
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

In 1991 I rode a track bike that was at a shop that taught me everything I know about wrenching. It was a Merckx with full campy, double straps, and shellac covered cotton tape. It seemed nice. I knew nothing about track racing till 1993. And messengering has always been the one bike thing I haven't done. that is one of the only reasons I've wanted to do it. I hate elevators and offices, so well. No.
    moscow:. . .you are not going to self-destruct or anything are you?

Oh. . . I've been engaged in the process for a long time now.
    Aaron Gigantic:. . .he was one of my orientation students!

I remember encouraging you to put a brake on your first fixie. You seem to have done well enough without it!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn

My reintroduction to bicycles since the times of my youth occurred later than robot. I always wish that I had started riding more seriously sooner in my life, but am glad that it happened when it did. I remember when I went on a long ride for the first time. My friend peter invited me to go on a ride with him, and he came over with his kit on and nice cannondale road bike with 600 on it, I remember thinking that he looked dumb in all of that spandex. We went to a bike shop and i bought a pair of cages to attach to an old road bike that was in my garage, and some bike shorts, peter convinced me to spring for the comfort. We went back to the house and I took down the old Sekai Sprint 1000 road bike with old suntour components from the hooks in the garage. I laced up an old pair of nike indoor soccer shoes and we were off. I remember being amazed at how fast we could go. That summer was filled with memorable rides with peter and his father. The bike was improved by removing the decals, some new bar tape, a tune up, some gatorskins, and a longer stem. A couple of weeks after that first ride I got in touch with the head of the athletics department at my alma mater, he took me under his wing, going on a few rides with me, giving me tips here and there. Mr. Montgomery was an older guy and had(has) continued to compete in competitive cycling events across the country, and is still nationally ranked. I didn't know it at the time, but his son raced track in oregon with robot. That summer Mr. Montgomery let me borrow some old Time shoes and pedals, and the summer after he let me borrow a badass old carbon fiber with aluminum lugged road bike with full 600, and gave me some shoes. I loved stomping around minneapolis/st. paul with that bike, it was white with internal cable routing and said "profile: for speed" on the side, and it had a little bumble bee decal on the top tube. People would always ask me about the bike.
    I wish that I would have jumped on the opportunity at the time, and i've been kicking myself in the ass for it since, but both my friend peter's father and mr. montgomery tried to take me out to the velodrome in blaine, mn and get me set up with a bike and give me some lessons, during that first summer. Peter's father was the commissioner out there, and mr. montgomery was a veteran racer/celebrity out at the track. I still have yet to ride a velodrome.

Thanks to those people for getting me on a bike. I owe them a lot.(moscow)
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i started riding a bike b/c i used to run every day, and the summer after freshmen year i worked nights at a restaurant. i'd get out late, sleep till eleven or 12, and have to be at work again by 630. it was too hot to run 3 or more miles without passing out, so i dug my dad's old trek crosstown out of the shed, stuck waterbottles in a bag, threw on some shorts and took off around the jersey countryside.

i wish i had invested in a bike sooner. it wasn't until i got back to school in the fall that i realized how frustrating it was to rely on getting myself around on foot, as i never much enjoyed the T and rarely used it. i finally got a bike and tagged along on a thursday night ride. i got my ass handed to me and sat off to the side on the beach at castle island, wondering why everyone kept talking about fractions. until i realized people were discussing gear ratios, even though i didn't know the proper term for it at the time.

i second moscow's wishing i had got into it sooner. but i'm glad that a bike shop hired me, mainly b/c they found be personable, believed i would be a good worker and knew that i was willing to learn. despite me not knowing nearly enough about bikes. i'm glad that i met the people i did. and i'm glad that i never have to take the T now.
    I got back into bikes during undergrad. I was living on campus and a car just didn't make sense for going to and from classes, the busses sucked, and walking is slow. So I took an old bike from home and rode it for two years. Then, some jackass stole it by braking the bike rack it was locked to. It was a cheap bike, but it was still mine, and I decided I'd replace it.

A friend of a friend hooked me up with his employee discount at a local bike shop, and I had a nice new Giant OCR3. Not an amazing bike by any means, but it was def a step up from the hybrid like bike that had been stolen. I felt like I could just fly on that thing. One of my high school classmates was training for an Ironman, so I rode with him for about a year before the maintenance began to irritate me. Not to say I was lazy, but Florida has rain DAILY in the summer, so cleaning/greasing became a daily practice.

Eventually I went to an Alleycat that the barista from my local coffee shop was putting on. From here I became introduced to the fixed gear / single speed scene and opted to sell the Giant to a friend and get a fixie.

I'm happy about having gotten into the bike scene as I like mechanical stuff (my dad and I took apart and mostly rebuilt an 82 Porsche 911 engine during my last 2 years in college) and biking gave me a way to keep busy. Additionally I liked community that exists in cycling. It's like having a giant family.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex

Story time? Might as well!

My interest in bikes started when I was really young. I grew up in Pawtucket, RI and the neighborhood kids and I used to spend all of our time riding bikes around town. My father and I used to collect every junked bike around town and fix them up. He taught me all the basics of how to take care of a bicycle and I owned some of the most heinous frankensteined bicycles when I was young. I thought I was pretty cool cool whenever something happened to bike in town because we would take it to my house and I'd fix it for them.

I moved when I was in my early teens into a much more rural town and thats when I made the change to mountain biking. Once again my first mountain bike was a collection of who knows what found hear and there (I think the frame was a roadmaster) and used to ride around the woods behind my house.

During high school I lost track of cycling and only once and a while did I ever ride. When I came to Boston, during my freshmen year, I soon realized that a bicycle was far better then public transportation. Though during my bicycle hiatus my father decided that it would be a good idea to rid ourselves of the some 7-10 cycles we had around our house (including a gorgeous yellow 10 speed with chrome fenders, oh and we're major pack-rats so you know) and so I was forced to search for a new bike. Thats when I found a horde of bikes tossed to the curb by one house; a small 89' Schwinn Traveler in excellent condition, an 80's Marushi in near excellent condition, and a no-name cruiser that had seen better days. I tuned up the two road bikes, gave the Schwinn to my girlfriend (which she still rides now, although I turned it into a SS for her) and also repaired the cruiser (rattle canned it yellow and added a basket) and gave that to her as well (though its seen little use :( ). The Marushi was mine but soon was replaced by a much larger 80's Myata that I road for a while.

That takes us to about last summer where I acquired my new collection thats listed in the introduce yourself thread. This past year I've gotten far more serious into cycling (I owe people like Greg and Lauren thanks for helping fuel my interest) and finally just joined the WIT cycling team. I hope to be getting in on more group rides and getting to know everyone on the forums. It's certainly nice to have all these people similar interests to talk about (whenever I talk about bikes in my apartment it soon becomes a joke about how I'm 'cheating on my girlfriend with my bicycle').

That went on longer then it should have. Sorry guys.Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    oh, i guess i'll go, but i've always had trouble telling this story. (i tried writing it for creative nonfiction last semester. it was tough.)

my bike love started in middle school. (quick side note: i originally wrote '92, and i don't know why.) in grade school i rode around town and in the powerlines behind my house on a shitty ds mtb, but when i hit middle school, i decided i wanted to buy a bmx bike. so i got a gt vertigo. i wasn't very good, but god i loved that bike. i took it apart and put it back together more times than i can even remember. it got to the point where i wanted to race, but i couldn't find any tracks close enough to me. but for some reason, a year or so into high school i just stopped. i couldn't even drive yet, and i just stopped riding.

flash forward to the summer. i'd been wanting a bike for a while but hadn't bought one yet. i had some friends who had "fixies," thought they sounded fun. i didn't wanna deal with a derailleur in the city, so i built up my fixed. but here's what pushed me to building it: i'd dated a girl for a year and a half, and we broke up at the beginning of the summer. i won't get into the details, but know that it was enough to keep me in bed. and when i wasn't in bed, i'd usually want to be in bed. the bike took my mind off her, it became my best friend. i had forgotten how much i missed it.

gosh, this story is so girlish.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    I had random garage sale bikes throughout my childhood that my mom'd pick up every once'n a while, most cool-y, the "Street Rocker", a hot pink tiny coaster-brake laden machine with a radio velcroed to the front handlebars.

Finally got a new hybrid bike along with my brother in middle school which I rode for the next 4 years or so. Loved that bike, and only recently did i realize i didn't have a clue how the whole thing worked. Mid-high school I jumped on a friend's road bike and was completely taken aback by how freakin quick it was (having never rode 700-23 tires). Picked up a new Allez Elite after fruitlessly searching virtually the entire summer for a used road bike (a concerned clerk at a local shop wouldn't sell me an old 56cm trek1000 on the grounds that she thought i'd develop wrist problems if i rode too much, since my frame size was more of a 58cm.)

That Specialized really got me pumped up about biking'n I'd go out just about every day.../i just remember the thrill of being able to go super quick. Joined up with a junior racing team, showing up in shorts and a t-shirt for the meet'n greet practice, waaaay intimidated by 20 kids wearing bright full kits. Coach was a norwegian olympian back in the day, and his son took 4th in worlds cyclocross (after winning US nationals of course). Only did a couple crits with them/never wanted to drive for an hour to get to practice just to spin around for a little while'n then drive an hour back.

The next summer i built up an entire bike from scratch at the greatest bike shop in the world, the Grease Pit, completely volunteer-mechanic-run with a bunch of stands open and a full set of tools. Word of fixed gears leaked into my bikely friend group, and we were all mystified by it. (The grease pit bike is now my polo bike, though many modifications have been made since.)

oh god this is so long..../time to cut short. Got a fixie from Cars-R-Coffins, loved it to death'n commuted all mn winter, when I'd look forward to the ride home from school because it'd get up to 10 degrees'n the facemask could come off. Picked up a bianchi Pista Concept after getting into track racing with my team.

Sassy told me to come out'n play polo during my first week in boston for school'n ... well... polo is the greatest thing since fixed gears.

Currently two days into couriering for City Express, and all is well.legit bike polo... a gusly entity of delicious. Mallets'n wheelcovers.
    Next!

The first bike I was into was a crappy, neon orange Huffy MTB. Total death trap, the chain fell off every other day. But my friend's dad was into motorcycles, so he'd get a kick out of helping us fix up our ratty bikes. I grew up rural, and my friend and I (only kids with parents "from the city") always got into scraps with the farmer's kids, with a lot of dirt-road bike chases that had hazing at stake if you got caught.

Then they all got BMX bikes, which were quicker than the Huffy. So I got caught more often. Eventually stopped riding, played more video games. Got chubby with puberty.

Just before my 14th birthday I got a Trek 720 Hybrid for my birthday, with 21 speeds and Cromoloy tubing. I find it unbearably slow now, but then I thought it was the coolest thing ever, because I could leave those punks in the dust every time. I would go out after school every day that year and do a 20-mile loop around town, and I remembered what it was like to be in shape again.

Got the car, stopped riding, but then brought it with me to college. One of my friends was a mechanic at the local shop in my college town, so I started to haphazardly learn things.

When I moved to Boston I was in Lower Allston, which sucks for public transportation (suck it, 66). So I found myself a red Raleigh 3-speed (on Sheldon's recommendation) and the rest was history. I'd known about fixed gears for a few years before I built mine, but I was insistent that I would build it myself. I had the misfortune to attempt it on an old Raleigh 10-speed with proprietary Raleigh everything, but all the headaches just taught me more, and made me feel better about finally getting her up and running.

I get "fakenger" glares sometimes, but it doesn't bother me much anymore. I commute a beat up fixed because it's cheap and reliable and fun. I wear a Chrome bag because it's a huge, waterproof bag I bought for $40 on craigslist, and panniers blow.

Messengers figured out a good system for everyday cycling in the city. People who are interested in cycling in the city looked into it and adopted some parts of it. What else do you expect?Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2008

I completed my 20th unsupported century before I could form memories. By the age of four my thighs were so massively disproportioned that doctors warned I would have to quit all muscular activity in my lower body for fear it could rip away from my torso and go off to conquer the pro peloton.

then in college i moved 10 blocks west of campus and got a huge 58cm black fuji road bike that slapped my nuts like a defiant whore. i wrestled that feisty bitch on the rolling hills and humid ghettos of west philadelphia for a long unemployed summer. a fortunate encounter with a brick wall killed her. then i got an even crappier schwinn. turned it into a ss. then fixed. then i got my black pista off my buddy for cheaps($200 and an 1/8th) since he couldn't figure out why he kept getting hit by cars. this was 2001.

the end.I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    "then in college i moved 10 blocks west of campus and got a huge 58cm black fuji road bike that slapped my nuts like a defiant whore."

+500Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

Throughout my childhood I had numerous bikes, the most memorable was a Diamond Back BMX bike that I bought to try to be a super BMXer then realized I sucked at BMX. I remember my dad telling me he'd buy me a bike for my birthday and going to the LBS and him trying his hardest to convince me to get a road bike but I wouldn't look and anything other than BMX. Funny cus now I desire to own one (or more of just about every type of bike except BMX, wish I have utterly no interest in)..

In the late middle school early high school years bikes disappeared from my radar. I was more into cars/trucks, I owned and taught myself the basic mechanics of a 78' chevy pickup then 64' Chevy El Camino. I remember "getting into cycling" my Sophomore year of highschool when my dad came home from work and started talking about doing a double century from Houston, TX to Austin, TX with some of his friends from work. I knew my dad was into cycling back in his High School days but the thought of him dusting off his old 70's beast and riding anywhere seemed laughable to me. I teased him for a couple of days about being 45 yrs old and over weight and never making it more than 10 miles, to my surprise within 3 weeks you was up riding 40-60 miles on Sunday mornings. To me at the time the thought of 50 miles on a bike was unimaginable, but I figured there was no way I was gonna let my geeky overweight dad do like that while I sat at home nursing hangovers. I started searching around for a bike and found out that one of my friends from school had a dad that was doing the same Houston - Austin ride as my dad and they happened to have a few bikes laying around in the garage. I borrowed a bike, and my friend Mark and I set out to beat our dads to Austin. Eventually they beat us by 15 minutes!! :-(

From then on cycling has been a big part of my life. When I moved to Boston to be with my girlfriend at the time who went to Harvard, my dad bought me my first brand new road bike, a Lemond Etape. Having only ridden hand me downs before then (mostly shitty 70s and 80s steel tanks) it was the most advanced piece of machinery I had ever seen, I remember thinking there had never been a lighter bike.

My entry into the Boston bike scene and fixed gears came when my beloved Etape was stolen. I had to get new wheels quick and I didn't have much cash so I turned to the internet, while searching for bikes I stumbled across Bikeforums SS/FG "Boston Rides" thread. I didn't know what FG stood for, I just knew there were people in my age group in Boston looking to drink beer and ride bikes together, it seemed heaven sent!!! Around the same time I found a CL ad for what looked like a really nice road bike on Craigslist, but for some reason the owner had removed all the gears. When I couldn't figure out why all the bikes I kept finding had no gears I went to Sheldon Brown and he explained everything. It seemed interesting and I needed a bike, so when I saw a SS/FG convert on CL for $100 and jumped on it.

Since then I've made some of my best friends and learned to actually really enjoy this city. Cycling got me out of my apartment and onto the streets. Through riding with people from SS/FG I realized that Boston doesn't suck as much as I thought my first year here. It also gave me a circle of friends and an escape from the apartment when my girlfriend of 3 years and I broke up just over a year ago.

Fakenger, Posenger, Hipster, whatever... I like cycling.. road, fixed, mountain, polo, touring.. I just like riding
    The Ghost Mice sang "But Punk Rock my life, I can sing it honestly."

I can say the same about cycling.
    ^such a good song!You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    notty:"then in college i moved 10 blocks west of campus and got a huge 58cm black fuji road bike that slapped my nuts like a defiant whore."

+500

Agreedclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    A trip though robot's memory lane. . .
    [Not entirely work-safe]
    [all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn

^dude, those are awesome!(moscow)
    i just got into biking this year, well fall 07.
    when we moved into our house in allston there was a specialized hardrock mountain bike in the basment, and since i didnt want a car here in the city i decided to use that to get around. rode that for less than a month, till i got hit by a garbage truck, the driver gave me a specialized sirrus (+ a hundred bucks to keep my mouth shut), a hybrid, and for some reason after getting hit i figured i should probably ride more (dont know why ?) then a few months later i decided i wanted a fixed, so now im riding an old shogun conversion, working for city express, and playin polo when weather permits.its like watching a monkey swallow a hand grenade.
    ^hit by a garbage truck?! jesus man.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    robotbuilder:A trip though robot's memory lane. . .
    [Not entirely work-safe]

That mullet is outstanding! You need to tell your girlfriend Delilah that you(Samson) need to bring it back and restore your climbing power.
    Thanks to everyone for their stories.

I'd love to see more & perhaps photos?

robotbuilder:Thanks to everyone for their stories.

I'd love to see more & perhaps photos?

-robot

Figured I'd add some pics of the bikes.
    First, my Giant which I got after the bike I took from home got jacked in college. Had this bike for a couple years

My Cervelo - Gift to myself after a LOOOOOONG summer of working ~60hrs a week

And after riding that a TON for the following year I decided to get a daily ride - my current one

and my project Guerciotti which will one day be finished..... i hope.... please.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008

I really like all your stories...Would any of you be interested in sort of collecting them all in a single blog/site to sort of just have them? I would be willing to do all the hard work of coding and stuff just wanted to know if it was ok to collect them all. And of course you could all be authors/editors whatever. Just such neat stories that I don't want to just let this thread die and never see them again.this wont hurt a bit...
    ^+1[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008 edited

^^^^I have the most disgusting picture of me at a young age wearing some hideous 80's neon colored cloths on a partially neon colored Frankensteined BMX bike somewhere at my parents house that needs to be found. I'm sure theres also tons more.Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex

^^+1Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

Anyone interested in being authors of this story repository simply email me your preferred user name and an email, I will have the site up shortly. I will whisper back details.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorslowski

!If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

I've done a lot of reading here, but no writing.

Mountain biking always seemed awesome to me. Always. I mean, back when I was so little that I was riding a Huffy on 16's (Gangsta style, clearly), I would go to a friend's house, and we'd ride this BMX style loop in his yard. Needless to say, that was awesome. Then I ended up with a Murray Flexxor when I was eleven. That's right, the one with the super heavy shock up front, and it ruled. I went over the bars so many times trying to ride that thing in the woods behind the neighborhood around the corner. And then, when I outgrew that, I would take my sister's "mountain bike" into the woods, because it had 18 speeds, and that was AWESOME. You know, awesome except for the fact that I was riding a lady's step through frame with more or less of a commuter tread, and it weighed about 30 pounds (roughly 1/3 of me at the time, if not more).
    Cycling dropped off for me for a little while during the middle school years, mostly due to a move, and the resultant not knowing the locals, or where to go ride on dirt. Not to mention that when you've got my mom raising you and you live in the 'burbs that riding on the street is discouraged for a 13 year old. Of course by this point I've got a shiny new Royce Union with 26's, a 24 speed, and bar ends. Bar ends, BTW, hurt if you take them to the jaw. I would not recommend it.
    By mid high school, a buddy of mine on the cross country team had just got one of those high end Trek Fuel 90's with full suspension, so I'd ride across town to ride to the trails with him. It's worth noting how ridiculous I had to look, still riding the Royce alongside this fancy full sussy on the trail.
    Then Graduation time came along, and I requested a MTB instead of a graduation party, because I'm not big on parties, and that the same amount of money could go towards a bike which could last longer. Enter the Gary Fisher Marlin. Not so much high end or fancy, but badass enough to handle trails.
    (insert filler of about two years involving occasional weekend rides in central Mass.)
    So, then I moved to Watertown and got a job in Cambridge selling coffee. I commuted on the Gary Fisher, it being my only bike and all. I then found a ten speed in my dad's basement, tuned it up and rode that for a few months all over the place until buying the Langster. A few months after that, I started mess'ing for City X, and shortly thereafter met most of you folk.
    Long story short, bikes are cool, and are way cheaper than the car I used to have.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    slowski:Josh[ua], I think your glasses just got bikesnobbed!

fixed.[all your base are belong to us]
    • CommentAuthorslowski

?If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

So the site is up, I added robots and Soft T-Rex's stories (cause they sort of said they were down with it) if anyone else wants their story added to the archive, or author rights let me know (whisper user name and email).this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorslowski

.If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    I invented the bicycle in my early years... Then around 1956 I became the worlds fastest trackstar* Then I started wearing my girlfriends slacks and dyed my hair black, black as night. I rode like the wind and everyone knew I was the best at everything because I spent all my time waxing "fixie" on the web. Wax on- Wax off , I'm also a Samurai!!!!WWJD
    I want to be a samurai...Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    nadmenny moodge:I invented the bicycle in my early years...

How did you get your start? I'd be cool to read about someone who's been a fixture of the scene for so long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex

My roommate is a samurai....I kid you not. He does nami ryu. He spends on swords what we do on bikes.Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    ^ is there a local dojo? I want to get back into martial arts.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

like probably a lot of other people, i was a bmx kid. i never raced but i'd constantly being doing stupid shit with my friends that invariably involved breaking my bike or breaking myself. there was a bmx track a few miles from my house, so we'd sneak in there after-hours and ride on the track until the park rangers caught on and kicked us out. i still have the old mongoose freestyle (i think it was actually a flatland bike) frame in my garage at home.

then, predictably, came my foray into mountain biking with my 18-speed mongoose hardnose. i beat the shit out of that thing for many years, though it only got used in the summer 'cause it sucked riding the local trails when it was cold. we did try, however. i eventually "upgraded" to a haro escape (suspension!!!) and proceeded to beat the shit out of that thing too. i broke off the rear derailleur hanger whilst on an urban freeride with my friends in new haven. that kind of got me out of biking for a while and most of college because i didn't have a bike to ride and pretty much walked or skated everywhere.

i'll never forget this. august 2005; my friend dan calls me and says he's at a tag sale with this road bike that he's going to buy for me for $1. it was an old 80s motobecane 10-speed with the front derailleur removed. i rode that thing the 3 miles to campus EVERY DAY until one day when the front wheel fell off and i bent the fork. i didn't save the frame or anything because i knew very little about bicycle mechanics at the time. the next summer i bought my first for-real road bike, a 70s libertas ten-speed. it is probably one of the most beautiful bikes i have ever seen. it's hanging in my kitchen right now with a stripped bottom bracket shell :(

i rode a fixed gear for the first time in june 2007 and immediately fell in love with it. i moved to boston in july and built a fixie from an old motobecane frame (which some of you may have seen before i bent the dropouts). i'm now on my third and loving every second.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    i once took a shit in a lady's bathroom.

this is also part of the reason why i am forever banned from all cracker barrel family restaurants.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008

^was it an upper-decker?(moscow)
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

the upper-decker, the most notorious of all "battle-shits"this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn

^some black belt stuff...oh the stories.(moscow)
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

I laughed my head off cause one of the "1000 blank white cards" game cards that my friend tony made was "upper decker" +500 pts.

It was a great card, and had a fantastic drawing.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

i started riding so i could get into bars, and i have a thing for tall skinny guys.
    i thought an upper decker was also called an a-bombride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)