Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorravnos
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008

I went to school in rural bum-fuck NY... a good percentage of the girls in my school (younger than my class) were pregnant before graduation.

Most dropped out...

I went to school with morons and rednecks...Question Reality. "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear."
    •  
      CommentAuthorravnos
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008

Never was a fan of Sartre's version of Existentialism.. but I love most of his fiction work.

His War Diaries would be interesting...Question Reality. "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear."
    • CommentAuthor.
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2008 edited

current reads:
    - Mapplethorope: a Biography (about a controversial photographer)
    - Dear Diary (a vice publication about a girl growing up in the nyc drug scene)
    - Haunted by chuck palahniuk (creepy mini stories)
    - I Am Legend (I guess like the movie? but i haven't seen it)
    - and re-reading Ishmael (amazing book)

im a spastic A.D.D. reader I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2008

^i just re-read ishmael. paging robot to say that it was overrated philosophical bunk...but i love it.

i'm currently reading a novel by c.s. lewis. till we have faces: a myth retold.

i figured i'd wait a bit before re-reading my ishmael. and i have yet to read the story of b. if you'd like to borrow either, i have them.
    • CommentAuthormannnnnn

I just finished Till We Have Faces, I had to read it for a class. How are you liking it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

liking it so far. it's the night before they're supposed to sacrifice istra/psyche.

i started reading this c.s. lewis novel that i really liked - the dark tower. unfortunately, i didn't finish it. as half the novel was missing, either he never finished it or part of the manuscript was lost in a fire. i didn't realize it until i was like, "OMG what happens next?!?" and saw the note that that was all they had of the novel. it was published by his daughter, i think? very disappointing. so when i saw till we have faces, i decided to pick it up.
    Joshua 9&10. Writing about the Gibeonites and their cunning, and how this is punished though biblical scripture, but the inability of the israelites to do much more to them than make them slaves due to the treaty they entered with them - though it was under false pretenses.

Yeah..... this is the part of theology that I don't care about.

I prefer my Biomedical ethics any day.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

just an observation, but there seem to be a lot of parts of theology that you don't much care for...
    • CommentAuthor...

currently reading:
    biography: mapplethorpe
    invisible landscape by terrance mckenna
    a long way gone by ishmael beah

OH (lame self promotion here..)
    i just finished my zine
    (photography, poetry, rants, etc)
    if anyone wants a copy
    it is $1.
    whisper me for more info
    ^I'm more interested in ethic than being a biblical scholar.
    The school requires a lot of biblical scholarship classes though. Almost done with prereqs though.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    i want to read the art of war. anyone have a copy?ride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfox

Nathaniel Dorsky: Devotional Cinema
    • CommentAuthor.

ilikeitfixed:i want to read the art of war. anyone have a copy?

i dont have a copy, but I hear its amazing and I too need to read it.
    well if anyone on here has it i call it first! :)ride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)
    • CommentAuthor.

ilikeitfixed:well if anyone on here has it i call it first! :)

haha thats ok, I have a ton of books I need to finish before picking up more. But then again... seconds!
    • CommentAuthormannnnnn

You can find Art of War on the internet for free, so long as you don't mind reading it on your computer.
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2008 edited

I have it, not sure if it's in Boston. I will investigate.

Edit: I lied. I have the Tao Te Ching here if you want other eastern philosophy.

Re-Edit: I can have the Art of War here on Wednesday, but you'll have to get it from me that night, because I'm skipping town for spring break on Thursday.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    :)!ride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

^anything old like that (old = expired copyright) will be online at gutenberg.org. not great if you want print copy to take with you, but excellent for checking out a few pages to see if you like it, reading online, or pulling long quotes without having to type them in. also, you can usually get a couple different translations, which is interesting by itself, and helps when picking a print copy.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2008

obama's book about his pops.
    • CommentAuthormannnnnn

Currently reading Jamie O'neill's At Swim, Two Boys, and about to start A Canticle for Leibowitz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgazzer

i finally finished mccarthy's "blood meridian" which i liked more and more towards the end, but was kind of hard to get into at first. and i finally got around to reading The Rum Diary by hunter s. thompson. i really liked it, it's quick and easy to put down and pick up and get back intoYou know, if I were to die right now, in some sort of fiery explosion due to the carelessness of a friend...well, that would just be ok.
    •  
      CommentAuthorravnos

Rolling Stone released all 40 years worth of issues on a dvd set that I really want to get, but it's like, 100 bucks, and all I really want it for are the articles/interviews with old Prog Rock bands and the HST articles... not worth it. But Hunter S. Thompson is awesome...Question Reality. "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

meatball:by the way pete if you haven't yet, reading Beckett's novels does help in reading AO and vice versa.

i have a boxed set of beckett's work :)
    i'm listening to this right now. ginsberg pomes.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorravnos

^ Howl is amazing.Question Reality. "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear."
    •  
      CommentAuthorOhHeather

I started Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being in the beginning of January, but since the semester started, all I've been reading are articles on the politics of food, others about gangsta rap, and a huge book of artists' writings for classes. They sound a lot more interesting than they really are.

Also, Choke by Chuck Palahniuk has been sitting on my bookshelf since summer. I bought a bunch of books at once, and it's the only one i haven't gotten around to.

no time :[
    •  
      CommentAuthorravnos

Choke's a really fast read. You could probably kill it in a weekend.

Also, I just started Eaters of the Dead (movie 13th Warrior is based on it). It's pretty good, but I liked the movie and most people didn't.Question Reality. "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear."
    "Hey, I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I'm certainly not the dumbest. I mean, I've read books like 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being' and 'Love in the Time of Cholera', and I think I've understood them. They're about girls, right?

Just kidding.

But I have to say my all-time favorite book is Johnny Cash's autobiography 'Cash' by Johnny Cash."Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    • CommentAuthor.
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2008

^ ive always wanted to read that, but never heard if it was good or not.
    the Cash book? if you're really into JC you'll like it.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    • CommentAuthor.
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2008 edited

^ definitely really into him (obv. not enough to look into the book though.. weird), but thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorravnos

^^^^ Nice use of the reference... but ow.Question Reality. "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear."
    i cannot finish love in the time of cholera. i've tried on 3 separate occasions. just can't do it. hopefully number 4 will be successful.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    IMHO Palahniuk is a hack and not worth the paper his books are printed on.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    hey, i think the same thing!You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

^^-^yes and yes.

currently rereading a whole stack of warren ellis comics. (but i can't stand joss whedon. is that weird?)Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    •  
      CommentAuthorravnos

I think people take Palahniuk far too seriously usually, which makes him highly over-rated. I've heard him referred to as the new Kurt Vonnegut, which is just wrong. I've also heard his writing referred to as "pop-philosophy" which I think is incorrect. He just writes about more controversial topics than most people.
    I personally think his books are interesting - not necessarily well written - but the plots are interesting.
    To each his own though.

Warren Ellis on the other hand is my hero. - What are you reading?Question Reality. "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear."
    • CommentAuthorjohnderson

I have a copy. It is still on my "to read" list but you are welcome to borrow it.

edit: i should have read more carefully. If you didnt get it from bluedog you can borrow mine.
    • CommentAuthor.

I dont mind his writing style (not what he writes about), and thats why I sort of like him. But as for his stories go, they are a bit overrated and I usually can't read his book for far too long or Ill lose interest.
    I picked up Haunted sometime early 2007, and I still haven't been into reading it further
    • CommentAuthor.

johnderson:

I have a copy. It is still on my "to read" list but you are welcome to borrow it.

edit: i should have read more carefully. If you didnt get it from bluedog you can borrow mine.

well if he borrows bluedogs can I borrow yours (for a cupcake)?
    • CommentAuthorjohnderson

^absolutely
    •  
      CommentAuthorOhHeather

I've never read Palahniuk before, I just picked up one of his books to see what the fuss was about. Apparently I should have spent my $13 on something better.
    • CommentAuthormannnnnn

I tried to read Choke once, and I remember the reason that I failed to complete it was because I was disgusted with the main character. I'd be willing to give it another go, now that I know what to expect from him, but I don't think that I would shell out money for the opportunity to be nauseated by a fictional character.
    As far as Palahniuk goes, I'd say Invisible Monsters is your best bet. In my humble opinion, it's his best work. So if you hate that, don't bother with any others... He's definitely not for everyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

my bag currently has four different books in it... it makes me feel smart.
    • CommentAuthormeatball

<b>IMHO Palahniuk is a hack and not worth the paper his books are printed on.</b>

dear lord, thank you.

Palahniuk is barely worth talking about. His subject material / supposed edginess doesn't play into it at all, he's a stupid hack writing stupid books. There are scenes in Dostoevsky that talk about impaling babies for sport and parents ruthlessly abusing their children. Palahniuk is not edgy. Palahniuk is a moron. He has his place though - during those aw'sum ang'sties of high school. seriously wtf just read Crash by JG Ballard, and move the fuck on to Mao II, growth people, <i>growth</i> is what we're supposed to be interested in

I am very skeptical of Murakami as well.

I have been trying to read more contemporary literature of late... and sort of keep getting disappointed.

There's this Russian author / avant garde artist, Maxim Kantor, who wrote this apparently crazy as fuck postmodern-esque novel that was sort of a rejection of the avant garde and a look at Russia + Enland during the 20th century... I guess it sold out in a week or two in Russia, a second printing lasted a month or two (no idea how many copies either print run contained, granted). We need to get that translated, goddamnit. Not this half-cocked Burroughs-wannabe latin american magical realism-ripped bullshit >:( Check out Wasteland Atlas by Kantor if you get a chance.
    • CommentAuthormeatball

omfg I should totally go back and edit that post and like put it all in <i>totally</i> like, you know, <i>backwards</i> IT WILL BE SO FUCKING COOL
    good contemporary books:
    a heartbreaking work of staggering genius by dave eggers.
    extremely loud and incredibly close by jonathan safran foer.
    the road by cormac mccarthy.

i don't know if you read them, but i love all three.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthormeatball

oh man I need to shut my mouth before I go off on JSF

I kind of want to punch him in the jaw :/

I had a fling with McSweeney's but it's over now for the most part. However, People of Paper was worthwhile, I really do feel.

I keep hearing about McCarthy from many sources, and I have a copy of The Road around here somewhere, but I have not yet read it. I have hopes though.