Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHamburger
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008

karyatid:"do androids dream of electric sheep?"

still working on, "catch-22" and, "all quiet on the western front."

i think i have a crush on you (bigger than the one lauren has on mur?). also, i owe you $2.00!

also, just finished clifford the big red dog. i don't see what the big red deal is.People make decisions.
    • CommentAuthormannnnnn
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008

Hamburger:
    karyatid:"do androids dream of electric sheep?"

still working on, "catch-22" and, "all quiet on the western front."

i think i have a crush on you (bigger than the one lauren has on mur?). also, i owe you $2.00!

also, just finished clifford the big red dog. i don't see what the big red deal is.

That's awesome!

I just finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and just started One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and am also working through A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, but I'm not sure that I'll finish it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008

^ On that note, I'm re-reading Kingdom of Fear, for the heck of it.dongpincher 1000
    mannnnnn:I just finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and just started One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and am also working through A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, but I'm not sure that I'll finish it.

heartbreaking work is one of my favorites. check out his short story collection how we are hungry.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    I'm reading this book and it's amazingly good:
    Manifestos on the Future of Food and Seed

If you want to get mad about things like corporate control of the food supply but also be inspired about ways local economies are rising up to protect local farmers and sustainable food practices, then read this book.

It's published by South End Press and you can pick it up at Lionette's Market on Tremont st. (Also contains a great essay by James Lionette himself... *swoon*)
    • CommentAuthormeetball
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008

reading Bakhtin. As far as novels go I'm tapped. Have been reading plays lately. Equus. Long Day's Journey into Night. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Novels have been pissing me off lately. Have not given enough attention to drama, can still read it.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008

Moby Dick... pretty good, could be better. yeah, i like real underground stuff you've probably never heard of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008

i just finished the neverending story.

next i'd like to read the princess bride

hell yes to revisiting my childhood by reading the books my favorite movies were based off of...
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Niall Ferguson's "war of the world" even though he's wrong a good deal of the time.

George Orwell's "Down & Out in paris and london"e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

re-readin' kipling's "kim". i love this book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Finally getting around to All Quiet on the Western Front.

Good stuff. Johnny Got his Gun was more.. "horrible"dongpincher 1000
    .never say die
    • CommentAuthorPugatch

ignore her post I forgot to log her out

since I'm building new wheels I'm reading

but I'm also in the middle of a Lovecraft AnthologyThink of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    i'm reading the thief's journal, it's quite nice.
    • CommentAuthorPugatch

ffffffuckoffffff:Moby Dick... pretty good, could be better. yeah, i like real underground stuff you've probably never heard of.

that's my favorite book EVERThink of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    meetball:reading Bakhtin. As far as novels go I'm tapped. Have been reading plays lately. Equus. Long Day's Journey into Night. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Novels have been pissing me off lately. Have not given enough attention to drama, can still read it.

long day's journey into night is superb. i read maus i and ii a month or so ago, which was just a great story.

also: richard brautigan poems.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    i liked long day's, and i like most o'neill plays.

the only brautigan i've read is 'trout fishing in america'

currently reading 'eat thy neighbour' an anthology of cannibalism
    • CommentAuthormeetball

I stumbled on Maus in 7th grade. That was interesting.

In the Shadow of No Towers was terrible IMO.

Terrible.
    • CommentAuthorLyzard

right now I'm reading Robert Heinlein 'Citizen of the Galaxy'

I used to read a lot more when I was on the commuter rail from Providence every day.

I recently picked up "Catch-22" and
    Philip K Dick's "Four Novels of the 1960's: The Man in the High Castle / The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch / Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? / Ubik '
    http://www.amazon.com/Philip-K-Dick-Stigmata-Eldritch/dp/1598530097/
    That should keep me busy for a while.

( Son of a librarian! book nerd)
    i've been meaning to get into some dick, which is what she said, but in a different context.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorPugatch

i wrote a paper on a long day's journey into the night back in 11th grade never read any of his other stuffThink of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008

picked up the complete works of joseph conrad off the street, so that's what's currently entertaining me while i collect samples every 30 seconds for 4 hours.

amusingly enough, the margin of the volume i'm reading now contains a vigorous conversation between two girls of approximately high school age about sex and religion (catholicism and judaism).Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    Lyzard:right now I'm reading Robert Heinlein 'Citizen of the Galaxy'

I used to read a lot more when I was on the commuter rail from Providence every day.

I recently picked up "Catch-22" and
    Philip K Dick's "Four Novels of the 1960's: The Man in the High Castle / The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch / Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? / Ubik '
    http://www.amazon.com/Philip-K-Dick-Stigmata-Eldritch/dp/1598530097/
    That should keep me busy for a while.

( Son of a librarian! book nerd)

oh, jeez. man in the high castle and do androids dream... are really great.
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

Rudy Rucker - Mathematicians in Love. BEST sf in a very long time.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008 edited

ratattack:i just finished the neverending story.

next i'd like to read the princess bride

hell yes to revisiting my childhood by reading the books my favorite movies were based off of...

how was the neverending story as a book? i think the movie originated in germany which means the nothing might bear some literary allusions to the iron curtain.. think about itenjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

oh and as far as the princess bride:

http://gawker.com/5030531/dead-monster-washes-ashore-in-montauk

"i don't think they exist"enjoy two cosmetics
    ^Dead, bloated, and partly-decomposed dogs, sadly, do exist.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

looks like a raccoon to me. The griding molars, paired with the large lower canines is pretty distinctive.

dogs would have incisors in front.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    howl: please transcribe that conversation for us.
    • CommentAuthormeetball

The problem lies in the discernment. Distinguishing meaningful utterances from nonsense is not a trivial task. Confronted with a lengthy text in an unknown script, how does one determine whether those characters in fact contained a meaningful text, or were simply set using the equivalent of printer’s pi or a lorem ipsum-style text?

The problem is important in cryptography and other intelligence fields, where it is important to distinguish signal from noise. Cryptanalysts have devised algorithms for this purpose, to determine whether a given text is in fact nonsense or not. These algorithms typically analyze the presence of repetitions and redundancy in a text; in meaningful texts, certain frequently used words—for example, the, is, and and in a text in the English language—will occur over and over again. A random scattering of letters, punctuation marks, and spaces will not exhibit these regularities. Zipf’s Law attempts to state this analysis in the language of mathematics. By contrast, cryptographers typically seek to make their cipher texts resemble random distributions, to avoid telltale repetitions and patterns that may give an opening for cryptanalysis.
    • CommentAuthormeetball

david markson is an idiot. but he's a fun idiot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

areyouamemberofELF:how was the neverending story as a book? i think the movie originated in germany which means the nothing might bear some literary allusions to the iron curtain.. think about it

i liked it. a lot. turns out the neverending story and the neverending story II [the movies] are both based off of the one book. i got to the part with bastian and the childlike empress and all and was like, "what the hell? i'm only halfway through!"

the book actually had a REALLY interesting explanation on the nothing. and how we as adults don't value the important things. and generally suck.

[SPOILER WARNING]
    basically they say that the nothing is because people don't believe in fantastica and the creatures that inhabit it anymore. as i recall, that's also what the movie implies. but it goes further - the nothing tempts fantasticans to jump in if they get too close. when a fantastican goes into the nothing, he is transported to the human world but not as his fantastican self. as a lie, a vessel of evil powers to be used against humans. the more humans reject fantastica, the more the nothing grows, the more fantasticans are swallowed up or jump in, and the human world is flooded with more and more lies.

quote i liked [the werewolf to atreyu]:
    "when your turn comes to jump into the nothing, you too will be a nameless servant of power, with no will of your own. who knows what use they will make of you? maybe you'll help them persuade people to buy things they don't need, or hate things they know nothing about, or hold beliefs that make them easy to handle, or doubt the truths that might save them. yes, you little fantastican, big things will be done in the human world with your help, wars started, empires founded...the human world is full of weak-minded people, who think they're as clever as can be and are convinced that it's terribly important to persuade even the children that fantastica doesn't exist."

this just reaffirmed my inclination to buy only children's movies like ferngully if i get a dvd, avoid the news, read books, soak in as much sunlight as i can and dance in puddles when it rains.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008

"yacoubian building". it's an egyptian novel and it's a good one. it's deck so far.
    • CommentAuthorgone
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008

^"Deck"?

That wasn't some joke? People actually use this as an adjective (and in 2008)?
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008 edited

so i finished anals annals of the former world.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008

i'm bringin' "deck" back. also "clutch". like that book is "clutch" so far. and can we all agree to call "bars" either "taverns" or "saloons"? that'd be deck if we did. jus' sayin'...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2009

[bump]
    i am contemplating reading 'glue' by irvine welsh again. i just finished beckett's 'malone dies' so i feel i can get past the awkward transitions to dialogue and lack of care for structure. though, writing phonetically in a scottish accent gets pretty tough to read.
    i'm reading 'botany of desire' by michael pollard, 'the collected poems of ted berrigan,' and 'the complete peanuts vol. 4.'You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

maybe i should be more accurate and post everything i am reading: samuel beckett's 'malloy', 'very little... almost nothing' by simon critchley, i started 'cat's cradle' again, though i remember it well so i moved on to other things. and sadly, i will be reading deleuze and guattari's 'anti-oedipus, capitalism and schizophrenia' perpetually. i have decided the next book i buy will be eugene holland's 'anti-oedipus, an introduction to schizoanalysis' to speed things along, and not get too side tracked in other material that i am unfamiliar with that i researched because i came across something in anti-oedipus that boggled my mind.

oh, and when i poop i read the magazine 'cabinet'.
    Lie Down With Lions by Ken Follettwhat the fuck are you talking about. bikes, bitches & booze or get the fuck out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

conor!:i'm reading 'botany of desire' by michael pollard, 'the collected poems of ted berrigan,' and 'the complete peanuts vol. 4.'

how do you like BoD? it wasn't my fave (omnivores dilemma/in defense of food are killer) michael pollan is a smart dudeguy. if anyone is looking to read any of his books there is an old guy who trolls around whole foods and when he finds young bucks that he wants to molest he buys them copies of MP books and then talks them up and uses it as a segue to ask them out to dinner. not saying it isnt weird but i'm not putting out until he gets me something in hardcover.

I just read outliers the new malcolm gladwell, anyone else pick up this gem? quick read and very enlighteningenjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthormheald

just read "breakfast of champions" that man is insane, i love itphotography
    mheald:just read "breakfast of champions" that man is insane, i love it

go read 'cats cradle' and 'sirens of titan' now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

KV = OVERRATED! He's like the new Chuck Palaneeackenjoy two cosmetics
    • CommentAuthorgc

about 6 weeks worth of back issues of my mother's new yorker subscription.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2009 edited

i prefer classics, like dickens, austin, and other old-timey stuff.

but i love vonnegut. i don't care whether he's hip or not. i think it's that his writing style is in a quirky, almost stream-of-consciousness style that is akin to the way things go on in my head.

and, honestly, his underlying themes and philosophies put forward really fit into my belief system. i did a sociobiology research project based off of "slapshot". in nature, it is believed that all apparent altruism is really due to genetic relatedness of individuals. ie, it is extremely labor/energy intensive for woodpeckers to build a home. so a group of woodpeckers works together, and only the breeding pair gets to lay eggs in the nest. this seems to go against darwinian observations, but in fact all of the birds are closely related and so by helping the strongest male & female, the other birds are ensuring that at least some of their genetic material passes to the next generation. they wouldn't be able to nest and reproduce that way otherwise. it has been shown that humans operate under the same influence.

slapshot and many of his books promote the importance of family, and state that if we feel related to people in some way we'll all be nicer to each other. even if our "families" are contrived, and not genetic. i really believe this to be true. we all just want to be a part of something, it seems to be programmed into us. /pro-vonnegut tangent.
    •  
      CommentAuthormur
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2009 edited

areyouamemberofELF:He's like the new Chuck Palaneeack

that's funny, you managed to flip the subject and predicate in that sentence.~(..,)~ (oYo) make whoopee not war (oYo) ~(..,)~
    haha.

i am reading this:

it's fucking WEIRD.

also reading the most recent issues of US News, Nat Geo and Nature.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    areyouamemberofELF:
    conor!:i'm reading 'botany of desire' by michael pollard, 'the collected poems of ted berrigan,' and 'the complete peanuts vol. 4.'

how do you like BoD? it wasn't my fave (omnivores dilemma/in defense of food are killer) michael pollan is a smart dudeguy.

i like it so far, though i'm only about 50 pages in. he's writing mostly about johnny appleseed, which is only vaguely related to his abstract. but it's good, and it's interesting, and i like his ideas. i haven't read anything else by him.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHamburger

though i cannot validate my enthusiasm for vonnegut i do enjoy his writings, if only because he was as close an author to thompson i could understand. and i hope to visit dresden this april (read: downer).

anyone here read the wasp factory by iain banks? i just finished it last week and, well, i still don't know what to do about the plot (wtf?) and the guilt (mostly because i thought i understood francis).

as always: reading is fundamental.People make decisions.