Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2009

mheald:just read "breakfast of champions" that man is insane, i love it

my copy covering my beer while i went for a smoke at the sil.

if you want insanity, read 'jailbird' and 'slapstick'. if you would like to borrow, just ask.

do not ever watch the 'breakfast of champions' movie (unless drunk at 4am), but 'mother knight', and 'slaughterhouse 5' turned out well.

when kurt vonnegut died, it was the only time i actually shed a tear for the death of someone famous. i don't believe i would have made it out of high school if it weren't for him, let alone into college.
    • CommentAuthorPugatch
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2009

I'm reading Anasai Boys by Neil Gaiman, and definitely digging it.Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    •  
      CommentAuthorNo. 11

Just finished The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brian and loved it. That man's writing style is bananas.

Now reading Warlock by Oakley Hall. SICK western for anyone who enjoys the genre. Pretty sure the creator of the show Deadwood read this about a thousand times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

who's trying to get down to some Non Fiction? What is Nature? by Kate Soper ANYthing by Oliver Sacks? I haven't been able to enjoy a fiction book since high schoolenjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthortainted

•  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Crash, JG Ballard

soooo good.dongpincher 1000
    just started don delillo's 'americana' today
    Reading "South", by Ernest Shackleton, and "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing, while I'm on vacation this week.Do You KNOW Clarence?
    • CommentAuthormp050

ghostwritten - david mitchell
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2009

DYKClarence:Reading "South", by Ernest Shackleton, and "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing, while I'm on vacation this week.

now there's some fuckin' 'core dudes. shit was cold.

i'm readin' a book about birds but can't think of the title.

yall should read "shadow country" by peter matthiessen. may be the greatest book i ever read.
    just finished infinite jest! oh yes! so good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2009

Just finished Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson. Am about halfway through The Art of War.Fuck yeah.
    • CommentAuthormeetball
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009

Crash is good, avoid the movie, though I do usually love Cronenberg.

Vonnegut is bad because he's good, if that makes any sense. He's not Palahniuk. The lit nerd in me informs me I should hate him, but all he did was take some interesting ideas and make them readable for the masses.

I hated Infinite Jest, btw, though I keep re-reading it over the years because I keep trying to convince myself it's better than it is.

I'm reading The Supermale by Alfred Jarry. The blurb:

"The act of love is of no importance, since it can be performed indefinitely." With that remark, the gentleman adventurer Andre Marcueil sets into motion an outrageous plot of scientific experiments and technological heroism focused on author Alfred Jarry's trinity of obsession: sex, alcohol, and bicycles. Like a mock Jules Verne, Jarry describes the manner in which the "Supermale" ultimately proves his claim; after 82 times with a woman, attending doctors hook him up to a machine instead, with whom he merges in the book's - and the Supermale's final climax.

I think there are a lot of people here obsessed with sex, alcohol and bicycles so figured I'd drop that.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

This republic of suffering = faust
    Riding towards everywhere = vollmann
    Regarding the pain of others = sontage-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

susan sontag makes my head hurt.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthormur
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009

^ i have so many mixed feelings about that tome. the biggest problem with it is to understand all of it well i think you have to read it through a handful of times, which a daunting idea when considering the size of that beast.

and Wolfram's complete lack of humility gets on my nerves. he's a genius, for sure, but he takes a bit too much credit for many concepts that were around long before he was.

and and i need to find some time to sit down and play with Mathematica 7. and myself.

BABY PANDA BEARS!~(..,)~ (oYo) make whoopee not war (oYo) ~(..,)~
    ^ I'm working on a side project that deals with cellular automata, specifically the Game of Life. Picked up Wolfram for some background research/understanding to get a better feel for the ideas. Its a slow read but I'm taking my time and going through as much as I can.

Wolframs smart and he knows it. If I had a Ph.D in theoretical physics by the age of 19 I'm sure I'd be just as cocky.

I have enough problems dealing with proper VB application, I don't want to learn another programming language - and if I did it wouldn't be for Mathematica. I'll just DL the workbooks from the website if I see something that catches my eye.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthormur
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009 edited

^ yeah, Mathematica as a language to develop anything practical isn't a good choice. but for exploring math and trying to gain intuition on complex (and naturally non-intuitive) topics, it's the bomb shizzle. simple little things, like being able to change parameter values and see resulting function surfaces change dynamically can really help bridge the disconnect between symbolic equations and real concepts. (those parameter sliders they introduced in v6 rocked my world.)

for exploring theoretical topics at work i'll start with Mathematica, then to make fast and useful numeric versions of the theory i'll use more practical tools/langauges like R, Java, MATLAB, and C.

if you find the ideas regarding complexity and computation in the universe interesting, you might also find this read to be decent:

~(..,)~ (oYo) make whoopee not war (oYo) ~(..,)~
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009

"all things reconsidered", a book of collected essays by roger tory peterson, the bird guy. about birds.
    • CommentAuthortristan

^^ fun fact: MatLab has some of the fastest image image processing around... now if only it were open source.

Reading: Neural Smithing, Supervised learning in feedforward artificial neural networks - Russell Reed, Robert Marks.
    I also am guilty of keeping a giant collection of sherlock holmes stories next to my bed for when I cant handle maths/intelligent thought.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorTomai

"My Lobotomy" by Howard Dully and Charles Fleming!

veri good
    jeffrey brown and liz prince comics.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHamburger
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2009

absurdistan = great, drunk, sad, fat romp

an ordinary citizen's guide to empire = sad, but true, and waterboard-yPeople make decisions.
    • CommentAuthoralex_p

just finished "ask the dust" by john Fante, and now reading "wait until spring, bandini" by him. If you're a bukowski fan I highly recommend this guy, super good!
    • CommentAuthorhannaelise

•  
      CommentAuthoreggman

"After Dark" by Haruki Murakami. Magical realism is sweet.Ella: Not that I would EVER even THINK of taking the T (mainly because my penis is too large to fit in it)
    ^ Murakami is great, i think Kafka on the Shore is in my top five greatest books ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009

something by carl hiaasen. his writing is a formula, but fuck that man can write a good page turner

also stuck between Kim by kipling, white noise, Graceland, and 10 or 15 other books that i've gotten 100 pages into and gotten distracted.http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

areyouamemberofELF:KV = OVERRATED! He's like the new Chuck Palaneeack

Palahniuk wishes he was the new Vonnegut dude. Vonnegut was Vonnegut when Palahniuk was born. Shit, he had been around the world, got a purple heart, did his anthro degree, worked as a police reporter, taught writing at Iowa, sold Saabs, and published his first novel 10 years before Chuck's parents decided to have a baby. Dude might be the best American author of last century. Palahniuk is just a wannabe Tom Spanbauer.

And I'm reading Paul de Man's Blindness and Insight and Josef Bleicher's Contemporary Hermeneutics.
    •  
      CommentAuthortainted

• CommentAuthorlissaandy

conor!:jeffrey brown comics.

<3

If you are reading/have read "Clumsy", and have not read "Be a Man", you should definitely borrow it from me.fuck art, let's ride bikes
    i've never read proust...whats his deal?
    lissaandy:

<3

If you are reading/have read "Clumsy", and have not read "Be a Man", you should definitely borrow it from me.

i'm reading 'clumsy' now, and i've already read 'aeiou' and 'every girl is the end of the world for me' (which is totally relevant to my life), and i'm planning on reading 'the incredible change bots' or something like that. he's so fucking good.

should i read 'be a man' before 'clumsy'?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    kilgore_trout:i've never read proust...whats his deal?

He wrote this huge epic, In Search of Lost Time. I've always wanted to read it, but never had the time (coincidentally enough). So finally I'm taking the plunge. I've only just started, but so far it's fantastic. I've never read anything that's been able to describe simple moments so clearly, and I love how he treats memories and the passage of life. So far it has lived up to the hype.
    epic on what scale, and in what style?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCedar Jones
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009 edited

epic as in about 4500 pages, in the style of kind of modernist semi-autobiographical. it's probably going to take me a while to finish, but I had to start sometime :)
    kerouac's guide to writing says that you should become a teahead like proust.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorlissaandy

conor!:
    lissaandy:

<3

If you are reading/have read "Clumsy", and have not read "Be a Man", you should definitely borrow it from me.

i'm reading 'clumsy' now, and i've already read 'aeiou' and 'every girl is the end of the world for me' (which is totally relevant to my life), and i'm planning on reading 'the incredible change bots' or something like that. he's so fucking good.

should i read 'be a man' before 'clumsy'?

nope, definitely after. it's a little supplement. especially after having read so many of his books, you will appreciate it much more. i got it at SPX a few years ago, i'm not sure if they get produced anymore. it's hilarious.

there are a few other indie comic dudes that i think you will like. i will make for you a little list.fuck art, let's ride bikes
    please do!You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorretirement

just got kramers ergot 7 in the mail.
    holy shit, this thing is fucking huge!
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I'm tearing through books this week
    e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    retirement:just got kramers ergot 7 in the mail.
    holy shit, this thing is fucking huge!

have you read 'poor sailor'? i think it was first published in that. it's so fucking good.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    mrotown:I'm tearing through books this week

she was the interim president at my college while i was there. really smart lady.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009

"under a wild sky", a biography of audubon.
    john updike died today =(

long live rabbit, the antithesis of sal paradise, but who drew so many similarities to him.
    • CommentAuthormeetball
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009

Proust bored the pants off of me. I really want to read him because everyone talks about him. But... BOOOOOORRRRRIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG. Can't get past the first 100 pages and for me that's sayin' something.

Picked up Jan Potocki's The Manuscript Found in Saragossa. Now this, this is not boring.
    • CommentAuthormeetball
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009 edited

re: Updike

here's a good review of his Widows of Eastwick, written on Jan 1. I'm sad he passed but some people (*cough* Roth *cough*) need to learn when to Shut. The Fuck. Up.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v31/n01/wolc01_.html

you, too, could be remembered as a great writer if you just knew when to zip it. And somehow became massively entwined in the terrifically lacking New Yorker fiction scene. TC Boyle &etc can suck my left nut.

(disclaimer: have not read the rabbit books)