Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

got served an ad for a folding 26" mtb

DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2020 edited

[barf emoji]Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2020

only thing good about this is 26""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2020

:'("life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2020

That’s some pretty crazy geometry, and that has to be the original bar tape.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2020

Cannondale should be sending apology checks to this unfortunate rider. Good illustration of why you can't really cram huge wheels on small bikes and have it work, though. Super steep seat tube, still super long. It made me very sad"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    oofDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2020

There's one for sale here if anyone wants one lololol

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/d/escondido-48cm-cannondale-sr500/7171667378.html

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2020

I've never liked Cannondales but never knew why. Now I know.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2020

:( :( :(

It looked even worse next to my Terry. The fuckin hoops they'll jump through to avoid making the simplest design change to make it actually nice to ride. I hate the bike industry, almost as much as the bike industry hates short people"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

To be fair, there was a brief period where they made an actually decent 650c road bike, but then there's this thing so fuck em"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Extremo-tall people have bikes with ridic geometry too. And 700c wheels look like toy wheels on them. And don't get me started on weight limitations. Bike industry hates everyone outside of the very general middle-zone of human shapes.

Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2020 edited

I can’t believe those are 700s! Tall frames that aren’t super stiff can also suffer from “high speed shimmy”, not that it’s a huge deal because it’s mostly just when you’re going really fast with no hands. It’s the same phenomenon in physics as a vibration building up in a suspension bridge, and it feels like your bike is about to become airborne.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2020

Something I can't comprehend is average sized builders being obsessed with maintaining average-sized wheelbases for huge bikes, so a lot of them end up with outrageously steep head tube angles. Like, it seems like Zinn is the best out there at enormous bikes (because he actually rides them!! If you're far enough outside the industry average, go to a builder who is your size. I cannot stress this enough) and they have pretty normal-looking angles even on 700c.

Honestly, in my non-expert opinion here, I think proportionally smaller wheels on big bikes is a lot less of an issue and unicycle wheels are something of a gimmick, as long as the angles are scaled up proportionately. In my experience, when someone claims that wildly outside the norm ht angle and rake "should feel the same" it's a lie, and they're usually average-sized. People ride minivelos fine, it might not give you an identical rotational feeling as directly proportional wheels, but pretty sure all the 36ers I've seen have been hybrids anyway rather than race machines."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2020

"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries