Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /nfs/c03/h04/mnt/49019/domains/bostonfixed.us/html/forum/extensions/Signatures/default.php on line 86

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /nfs/c03/h04/mnt/49019/domains/bostonfixed.us/html/forum/extensions/Signatures/default.php on line 86

that bike looks fine, except for the fact that the seat is jammed way the hell down. $1000 is actually a pretty good price for something like that, too. i don't like the paint job, but all around that's pretty decent.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    • CommentAuthorraff I el
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008

le lion:is it me or does the geometry look really wierd on this bike, ignoring the seat height.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/732146305.html

i see that too--kinda like someone just made a flatland bmx bigger.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008 edited

^It's compact frame geometry, and much too large for the rider.
    It is actually a good deal, just beware that the 53 cm figure is bunk, and you'd need to go by the "virtual top tube" height.

-bot[all your base are belong to us]
    ^Yeah, it looks more like a 57.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

Hunter S. Chompson:i can't rightfully say that i've seen saddle to bar drop like that ever used ...effectively in modern track racing.

it worked for this guy
    • CommentAuthorgc

wasn't that the dude who tried to set the hour record without a saddle/seatpost or was that a joke?gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008 edited

the bike with out some tall lanky czech on it

oh. and he set the hour record
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

years of working on your flexibility and training the right way (ie everything an olympic track rider would do) allows them to pull this off without hurting themself... dude who's new to fixed gear riding, not so much.
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

He also filled his tires with water. Hour record bikes are not normal bikes at all.

I'm not sure why, but bikes for big guys have gotten smaller. I've heard opinions from frame builders about it but I'm still not sure why. Things done changed though. I think that the orbea is hideous and I'm sure that the frame did NOT fit the rider the way a frame fitter would say it should...
    i can't wait to see theo bos on that beautiful bike

the guy who set the hour record above is not the guy who did the no seat thing. the guy for the no seat record was doing it for charity, and was polish. for every km he did seatless, X amount of money was donated somewhere. he still put up an impressive distance though.

edit: also, neither of the above 2 track bikes are ugly. i think they're fucking gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

^i do not second that opinion. what eddy merckx rode was fucking gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008 edited

boundgear:He also filled his tires with water. Hour record bikes are not normal bikes at all.

Seriously? I don't know about that, as water is an incompressible fluid, so he'd loose the low rolling resistance advantage of pneumatic tires. Perhaps an air / water combination, but i still don't know what that'd do for him. Though many time trialists like heaver wheels because of the increased inertia, which sort of smooths out the little acceleration peaks between pedal strokes.
    • CommentAuthorboundgear
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008

Air water. And you got the reason why. Increase weight= smoother at high cadence. Especially cadences you can't naturally get to over a time that you wouldn't want to do those cadences AKA the hour record.
    So who wants to fill our tires with water and bomb Mission Hill?Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

boundgear:Air water. And you got the reason why. Increase weight= smoother at high cadence. Especially cadences you can't naturally get to over a time that you wouldn't want to do those cadences AKA the hour record.

Ondrej Sosenka wanted to have heavier wheels, so the water thing makes a lot of sense. they're not good for acceleration, but great for maintaining speed. merckx on the other hand made sure everything on his bike was as light as possible (look at his bars!)

if only eddy knew heavier was better.
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

Yup. Merckx and Boardman's 2000 bike were the last real attempts on wire wheels and drops before Sosenka. Both had light wheels. I'm not sure if we'll see a 50K in an hour during our life times on a "normal" bike. But that would be awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

boundgear:...I'm not sure if we'll see a 50K in an hour during our life times on a "real" bike. But that would be awesome.

fixed
    •  
      CommentAuthorLadyBird

brunop:i know i'll get jumped on, but any bike, no matter how nice, is ruined by aerospokes.

i believe the proper name for that wheel is spynergy?!
    and yes any sort of street bike is ruined/automatically lame by blade esc type wheelsi am not a doo doo bird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008

the aerospoke did not ruin this one
    pete! gigantic:
    the aerospoke did not ruin this one

Jesse's bike is done already???!?!But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    hahahaha good one douche bag.HUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

^ hahaha cheer up pengy!what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    fuck you pengy chuntHUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRob Gigantic
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008 edited

What's a "chunt"? Is that like a chode and a cunt combined? Please say yes!Word nerd
    yes it is sirHUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!!!!
    Fuck yeah, I love new vocab day!Word nerd
    jesse fuckface:hahahaha good one douche bag.

Well you have nice taste in hand pumps, topeak is a fine maker!But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    that is a nice pump. andrew has one. hutHUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!!!!
    that bike cannot be real.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

^i think that it's so disturbing that it has to be real.
    i have been having nightmares all day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008 edited

/dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthorCole

reminds me of Halloween.
    that bike was beaten with an ugly stick many.... many times.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Somone should put it out of it's misery.

So, Jesse, was it your new Geek Haus you crashed?
    Sadness! I never got to behold it's beauty!!!

-robot[all your base are belong to us]
    robotbuilder:They look broken, or like those babies with deformed / too many limbs.
    I always have to suppress a natural instinct to kill them.
    It makes me feel bad.
    -robot
    Ugh # 1:

Ugh #2:
    [all your base are belong to us]
    robotbuilder:Somone should put it out of it's misery.

So, Jesse, was it your new Geek Haus you crashed?
    Sadness! I never got to behold it's beauty!!!

-robot

no it was my pista. the geekhouse should be finished and ready to ride in a few weeks. hutHUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!!!!
    ^Good, you had me worried!
    <3 robot <3

PS,
    No more crashes![all your base are belong to us]
    robotbuilder:^Good, you had me worried!
    <3 robot <3

PS,
    No more crashes!

if i crashed the geekhouse i would have killed myself.
    my collarbone is almost all better. no more sling but still a little sore.
    and thumbs up to not crashing anymore. hut!HUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!!!!
    ^Consider using a brake while your collarbone knits & calcifies, so you don't fuck it up whilst stopping. Yo know, as a crutch, for a short time only.
    im prob not gonna ride for at least another 3 weeks aaaaaand the fork isnt drilled for a brake. i'll def be taking it easy till i'm 100%HUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008 edited

boooo, colnago gave in and are using "semi-intergrated" head sets now. fucking dick bags.

if you can afford a colnago, you can afford a chris king.
    is that the new colnago reviewed on cyclingnews.com?
    the c-x (i think?) but the racer is still using his 75 fork. da7900 group with ultegra cranks?

and semi-integrated...? what the fuck. fully or not at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

i say not at all, integrated is dumb. i have never heard one beneficial thing about them besides being "more aero." and yes, i have talked to many people in the bike industry. maybe if your on a tt bike it may make a little bit of a difference if your a professional.

also the 75 fork sells for $675, it's not like it's obsolete, and the rider may really prefer it to any other fork available to him. he is also using 7800 cranks with 7900 rings, no ultegra.
    pete: honestly, i've never heard anything for or against integrated headsets. personally i like the way they look over outboard headsets, and if the function of one over the other is a moot point, then i'll go with integrated.

i just threw up what i read in the article last night, so i was definitely off. i do remember him saying that he preferred the 75 fork over the c-x stock fork since it was lighter (and possibly stiffer?). i also remembered him saying he didn't go full 7900, hence it not looking like a total space bike. i do recall him being described as rabobank's ultimate domestique.
    Bam!

Why Chris King wont be making integrated headsets....

The basis of King's argument is that headtubes with bearing "seats" are far from being machined with reasonable precision. The headset cartridge bearings therefore sit somewhat loosely in the headtube of the bicycle (as opposed to being press fit). During use, the bearings, under thrust loads, will rock in their seats and will easily damage the softer frame material (often aluminum, although some titanium frames are manufactured for integrated headsets). Given enough damage to the frame, there would be no choice but to replace the frame, especially if the frame is made of an aluminum alloy (titanium and steel can potentially be repaired, but usually at great cost to the consumer). King also argues that the integrated headset is largely a cost-cutting measure for many of the larger bicycle manufacturers, since integrated headsets are somewhat cheaper and take less time to install.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPanameM

VELIB'

this is what we have in France now. Almost a year!
    theyre low end bike that you can pick up at stations EVERYWHERE in Paris (&other cities) and return at any station.
    andd the first month 28 ppl died b/c they didnt know how to bike in the city. Paris is like Boston but bigger, faster, crazier.

and they look like SHITsnow
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008

a few years ago when integrated headsets first became popular, i arrived at the same conclusion as the chris kings of the world did.

now that they've been out for a while and seen extensive use, i've never heard of a ruined headtube from integrated headset use. i'd say they've proven their worthiness. doesn't mean i'd ever own a bike with one though..

oh, and don't confuse internal headsets with integrated headsets. not sure if this distinction is germane to the frame(s) pictured above, but.gone
    panamem: i've been told those are a GREAT way to pick up ladies/break the ice/find dates

le lion: i thought internal and integrated were the same...plz explain?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008 edited

the other problem for integrated headsets is that it has brought on a lack of universal-ness in the market again. there are already bikes being built with frame specific headsets, and some that use headsets that are no longer produced. i am not sure of which frames in specific, but i have heard it several times, and now i will do more research.
    i understand that the ease of installation is definitely a positive part of integrated headsets, but i think they are butt ugly, and make frames look like toys, granted i am not impressed with 99% of anything made from carbon or aluminum.
    pete! gigantic:
    i understand that the ease of installation is definitely a positive part of integrated headsets, but i think they are but ugly, and make frames look like toys, granted i am not impressed with 99% of anything made from carbon or aluminum.

Go buy a rivendell and get a helmet mirror, grandpa and talk about how much better things were before those "toy" bikes came along. And make sure you polish that head tube badge all the time.But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!