Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010

A) really? do you know of a lot of frames with integrated baskets? sold with internally geared hubs and full fenders for ~$500??

think about it from a non-bike person perspective, that bike is pretty fucking awesome for a lot of people..

B) it does look rather ghost bike like, but it is actually light blue..

C)meh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez

whoa 500 bucks out the door????????mrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    James, I forbid you to buy another bike.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

James, I force you to buy that and any other bikes you see fit.

ps. did you say 1 court st? That woodward bar/resto looks way nice.
    i don't think this has been posted, so may i present the YikeBike:

urban freedom!!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthormauspad

yeah, i kind of love the globe live, but i have a utility/porteur bike fetish.
    • CommentAuthorgemathy

that yike thing is not a bike, it's a scooter. an awkward, ugly, nearly $7,000 scooter.
    i don't like the idea of hurtling down the street on something that's basically an office chair. can you imagine stopping on that thing? it's basically a lower-set penny farthing!Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    ^that you don't even pedal

^^NO IT SAYS IT IS A BIKE THEREFORE IT IS A BIKE QED.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I like the fact that he's not wearing a helmet in the video.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    ^well he wouldn't want to look uncool.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthormindchalk

Morgie:A) really? do you know of a lot of frames with integrated baskets? sold with internally geared hubs and full fenders for ~$500??

think about it from a non-bike person perspective, that bike is pretty fucking awesome for a lot of people..

C)meh

not talking about the bike w/ the basket. talking about the ghost bike propped up on the helmet. generic, ghostbike, with the messenger chainring.out of true.
    globe bikes were featured in a men's journal article about awesome alternachefs recently. i don't know if that helps putt this discussion along or if it brings it a a facepalming halt.
    a couple of the globe bikes are pretty legit. i approve.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    after spending a majority of my summer building globe bikes, i hate nothing more then those fucking Globe Rolls. Everything about them is awful. Built, they weigh about 27lbs, ride like concrete, and stock come with some of the shittiest brake calipers and saddle ive ever come in contact with.
    The Live isnt bad, honestly. Its a beast of a bike and as said before it does have a lot of buyer appeal.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010

sorry.

gone
    It wouldn't be bad if it werent' for the browns and golds...Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    If you had asked me a year ago if I would ever think that a BIKE CHAIN was ugly, I'd have called you crazy...and yet...i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

mountain cranks? or what? they are 4 bolt, right? i'm not seeing things?dongpincher 1000
    they look they may be those power crank things
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

naw, power cranks are 5 bolt, and generally look more like those aero track cranks with the solid spiderdongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

tinyhonkshus:If you had asked me a year ago if I would ever think that a BIKE CHAIN was ugly, I'd have called you crazy...and yet...
    We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

Weight weenie's shitz

Litest an str0ng3st evar

I like the people who formerly worked at serotta, but they kind of jumped the proverbial shark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010

mindchalk:
    Morgie:A) really? do you know of a lot of frames with integrated baskets? sold with internally geared hubs and full fenders for ~$500??

C)meh

not talking about the bike w/ the basket. talking about the ghost bike propped up on the helmet. generic, ghostbike, with the messenger chainring.

that bike is actually light blue. check the specialized website. And messenger rings are used to maintain something stiff, relatively light, and widely compatible. I run a 42/13, as opposed to a 48/15, for an almost identical ratio (yes, this could be debated). But overall, less chain, less ring, just less.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

i will debate that. you're stupid. messenger rings are overpriced.
    all city makes a very nice, signifigantly cheaper, equally stiff ring.
    hell, salsa and spot make equally nice rings for cheaper.
    surly makes a stainless steel ring that's cheaper, nicer, and longer lasting.
    so yeah, basically, you're not wrong, but you're totally wrong. if you're going for ~83+gi, the extra 3 grams you get using a 15t DA cog and a 48T whatever chainring honestly will not matter. skip the socks of the 12 grams is that important. or hell, use the savings to buy a lighter chain.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

Using a larger chainring promotes longer chain life as well.
    • CommentAuthorgemathy

^^you didn't mention how pretty and shiny messenger chainrings are in your assessments. this thread is about what things LOOK like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

well, shit then. the race face decadence rings are shinier, fancier, and have stupid decals on them, and are cheaper.

are those out in retail yet? i'm sitting on a set now. that chainring is pretty pimp.dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthorgemathy

those look diseased. yr chainring has eczema.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

when you right, you right.
    dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthorgemathy

if there's a thing about bikes that I know well, it's what they look like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010 edited

DannyRocks:i will debate that. you're stupid. messenger rings are overpriced.
    all city makes a very nice, signifigantly cheaper, equally stiff ring.
    hell, salsa and spot make equally nice rings for cheaper.
    surly makes a stainless steel ring that's cheaper, nicer, and longer lasting.
    so yeah, basically, you're not wrong, but you're totally wrong. if you're going for ~83+gi, the extra 3 grams you get using a 15t DA cog and a 48T whatever chainring honestly will not matter. skip the socks of the 12 grams is that important. or hell, use the savings to buy a lighter chain.

I appreciate your input. I was merely commenting on what I interpreted to be the general idea of a "messenger" ring, not necessarily the sugino ring in particular. I also think the bostonfixed complex about "I'm smarter than you so I gotta be a dick about it" is also interesting. So many sad kids with something to prove. I hope you do some day, I really do.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010

the general idea of a "messenger" ring? you're right, silly of me to assume that by that, you were referring to a sugino brand messenger model chainring, vs a stiff, single-speed oriented chainring offered in a wider variety of chainring sizes between the common low and high road rings.
    also, it would have been much easier to discount everything i said by pointing out that i didn't respond to your debatable point re: microgearing.
    also also,
    StraightEdgeFuck Yes
    BrakelessFuck Yes
    GodlessFuck Yes
    Faster Than YouSee above.

yeah, i've got something to prove.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

danny you're so hot
    :swoon:somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    M M M MONSTER OWN.But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    • CommentAuthormauspad

gemathy:if there's a thing about bikes that I know well, it's what they look like.

omg me 2 lol!YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    That's possibly one of the worst designed track bike for actual stiffness. I can just see the whole frame flexing sideways when you pump more than 200 watts.But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    • CommentAuthorChromeLugs

Yeah, pumping 200 watts is like totally going to bend that. And with 97gi, the downtube will totally compromise. Maybe with a 49x16 ratio, the skid points are negligible. And I've done studies that show that that bike is not aero enough for my morning commutes, but due to the lack of kinetic energy produced by the sun, my evening rides are much more aero. Are those carbon fibre spokes?I prefer 49x16
    • CommentAuthormauspad

ChromeLugs:Yeah, pumping 200 watts is like totally going to bend that. And with 97gi, the downtube will totally compromise. Maybe with a 49x16 ratio, the skid points are negligible. And I've done studies that show that that bike is not aero enough for my morning commutes, but due to the lack of kinetic energy produced by the sun, my evening rides are much more aero. Are those carbon fibre spokes?

•  
      CommentAuthordora

DannyRocks:the general idea of a "messenger" ring? you're right, silly of me to assume that by that, you were referring to a sugino brand messenger model chainring, vs a stiff, single-speed oriented chainring offered in a wider variety of chainring sizes between the common low and high road rings.
    also, it would have been much easier to discount everything i said by pointing out that i didn't respond to your debatable point re: microgearing.
    also also,
    StraightEdgeFuck Yes
    BrakelessFuck Yes
    GodlessFuck Yes
    Faster Than YouSee above.

yeah, i've got something to prove.

bob is the man
    and he IS faster than youMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    ChromeLugs:Yeah, pumping 200 watts is like totally going to bend that. And with 97gi, the downtube will totally compromise. Maybe with a 49x16 ratio, the skid points are negligible. And I've done studies that show that that bike is not aero enough for my morning commutes, but due to the lack of kinetic energy produced by the sun, my evening rides are much more aero. Are those carbon fibre spokes?

Gosh yes, using basic technical terminology that's used in bicycles all the time in a facetious manner is really overly technical.

Here, let me dumb it down for bostonfixed:

"WHEN U PEDDLE JUST LIL HARDY HARD FRAME GO CRACKY CRACK CUZ NO SEATY TUBEY THINGIE"But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    ^lololololDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthoreclip5e

I dont think mauspad is planning on putting 200watts into it, ever. i could be wrong.hi i'm ron.
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010 edited

eclip5e:

I dont think mauspad is planning on putting 200watts into it, ever. i could be wrong.

i put 200 watts into your mom last night.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreclip5e

mauspad:
    eclip5e:

I dont think mauspad is planning on putting 200watts into it, ever. i could be wrong.

i put 200 watts into your mom last night.

Like i said.

I can appreciate the visual, but my mom died last April :-(hi i'm ron.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

/thread
    clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    I actually wouldn't mind having that today.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

^^^Those last ten comments pretty much made my day.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks