Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

spokenword:hey y'all,

so I've been posting here for, like, two years now and have been lax on the introductions. Sorry 'bout that. My name is Cris. I met some of you at Joe's epic retelling of his vagrant summer, then met some others on the logistics run for Occupy. I sometimes post comments to Boston Biker and other area bike blogs. If you see someone posting a comment with a name of cris and a link back to a Livejournal, that's probably me. (yes, I -still- maintain a livejournal because I'm set in my ways)

This is what I ride in the city (usually):

fixed ('73 Raleigh Supercourse with the Sturmey Archer S3X 3-speed fixed hub. Concept was: your typical Raleigh 3-speed city bike but MOAR FASTERER)

generator hub up front driving two Schmidt E6 halogens ... and yes, that means it's a fixed gear with the chunkiest hubs in the world. I like big hubs and I cannot lie.

this is my backup commuter (ANT Club Racer) ... with the new paint job after I was hit by a car this summer.

ok, yeah, no really, I also use the Club Racer for getting out of town. Watching the sunrise from the top of the Malahat Highway in Vancouver Island (ANT on the right)

and, yes, I'm Canadian but my French is atrocious because I was taught by a Scotsman in Vancouver and Vancouver has more people who speak Cantonese than French. I also used to play rugby, but I didn't lose any teeth until I started cycling.

oh, right and picture of me. from a Zombies vs. Santa bar crawl in Cambridge last year. Everyone starts drinking in Porter Square, Santas had to run to the next set of bars in Harvard Square and then Team Zombie had to chase them. Convert a Santa to a zombie by grabbing their hat. Santas defended themselves with nerf guns. Objective was to make it through ten bars between Porter and Central with your Santa hat on. It didn't involve bikes but it was still retarded awesome.

and, yes, I ate well that night.
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Freewheel Burning:Hey, I'm Mark, was a courier in Boston on and off between 1988-1999 or so, mainly from 93-99. I don't ride fixed as a preference but mainly ride single speed track frames, which I came to after years of only riding BMX, including a year of commission courier work on a 24". Though I used to build/buy/sell tons of bikes in my messenger days, I rode the same Basso for 12 years until last year finally retiring it and building a new bike around the recent Masi speciale sprint frame, which I absolutely love and ride as much as I can, although I need to ride more, much more. I found this forum because I am hoping to get back into alleycat races and my googling for them led me here. Glad to find such a huge, deep and long-running site for Boston riders, and hope to contribute and hang out in the days to come.
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    malweather:I meant to introduce myself earlier, but meh.

Anyway, I'm Valerie. Harry told me about this forum after the Wednesday Social(ist) ride/Solstice ride this week while we were all at Tasty Burger.

This is my bicycle (in my old kitchen back when I lived in Portland). It is not a fixie, but I was told that not everyone here is a fixie rider so I hope that's cool with everyone.

This is me. I am kind of an asshole (and an archivist, albeit non-practicing).

I hope this sates people's curiosity for now at least.
    wirktk88:Hey, I'm James. Just signed up to the forum today. Recently moved to Medford and I'm also new to riding a fixed gear. I gotta say, I fell in love with biking all over again.
    I want to let everyone know I create/ apply custom graphics and lettering for bikes and many other surfaces. I also do custom shirts. I might even start a line of shirts for fixie riders. If you want any graphics or shirts made feel free to message me or email jymz31@AOL.com.
    charlieyoungblood:im charlie. i commute on my messed up torker u-district frame with random other things on it
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2014

I don't think I've ever posted an introduction. Not about to begin now.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorwirktk88

I miss how fun it was being scolded for my introduction post. I couldn't ask for a better welcoming to the forum.
    • CommentAuthorben

chr|s sedition:Eric, Joe started something in another thread. What you are seeing here is the extension of that (and may become even more "real" at Secret Satan this year).
    What was the other thread? I missed that.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I was searching for something and stumbled across The Myth of the Scofflaw Cyclist thread, which contained some early Craiggles gems. Joe resurrected it and then Sedition et al. started diggin' up graves.

CHARLIE! I MISS YOU CHARLIE!

RIP CHARLIE, OFF TO CANDY MOUNTAIN FOREVERDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Hahahahahahaha oh my god this is wonderful

None of my photos are showing up but I'm too lazy to actually go and fix them allNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Going through all this, a few thoughts popped-up:

-How many people, who use to be very active, are now gone.
    -How many people we scared(?) away/never hung out that long.
    -How funny some of you are.
    -The seatpost. My god, the seatpost.
    -Whoagirl.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

my very first post was me asking to borrow someone's backpack and everyone was like FUK U WE DONT KNOW U :)
    chr|s sedition:
    dora:that sewing machine can give people ALL KINDSA boners

greg what kind of sewing machine do you have?

i'm so rude. hi everyone! yay! welcome! i'm new here too
    Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

also this revival rulesMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

tinyhonkshus:
    mauspad:

This. This is what I was looking for.

this is awesome
    chr|s sedition:
    tinyhonkshus:Hey there, My name is Marianna, and I'm afraid of everything. I just moved to Brighton, but I've lived in the Boston area most of my life. I went to college with mauspad, and we're hetero lifemates. Here is proof: (music plays upon clicky) http://www.mywedding.com/mariannaandxueforever/

Here is my sweet ride:

It used to be my grandmother's. I am excited for the Tweed Ride.

Here is me, on ze left:

And here is a picture I found while sorting through my files, of me shitwasted on a tiny car on the fourth of July in Germany:

Uh...I also like beer. I have even been known to make beer. Oh, and this is very important: I really like football (Patriots & Buckeyes, ideally) and there's an enormous projection screen in my apartment and none of my friends want to watch the Pats season opener with me. Please contact me if that jives with your lifestyle.

Xue has been leaning on me to make this post awesome and I can't take the pressure.

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I AM SEEING THIS :O omgMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

6kidz:I'm Ben. New to the site, but bike riding and mechanics-obsessed, happy to connect with other cycling enthusiasts. Finishing my new fixed this week, an early 1980's Trek 630 then adiosing my old Bianchi to cover expenses. Will post pictures if there are other vintage Trek lovers here that are interested. So far she's real purdy-like, and the ancient 120mm drops are perfect for track wheels. Still haven't made up my mind about tires, will probably go with Gatorskins because I have a set kicking around for now. I hope people still introduce themselves here and I'm not out of step.
    "Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^#foreverchode
    ^ You were on my "missing" list of people to try to dig-up. I must have missed this one going through them.

Side note, I forgot how funny the posts were in the wake of Whoagirl and Charlie joining. Comedy gold mine.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    RAAAARRR:RAAArrrrr

Rarrraraawwwrrrr arr arrrr raaaaar

Raarrr. Rar. Raaaaarrrara rarr Rawrrrr Raurrrrr.

Rarrrr?

Rawerrrr.

hahahaahha what the heckNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    surprisefries:hey, i'm evan. i'm a n00b here and i'm not very cool.

i look more or less like this:

i do breast cancer research and play rugby and drum and other stuff too.

i ride a marin bobcat hardtail mtb, but i am going shopping TOMORROW for a single-speed/fixed. i am excited.

(no, i don't always color-match my ride)
    Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    would someone 'splain to me what is going on in here?
    No.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2014 edited

shortmoderately sized list of non-posting old folks:
    will (dub)
    phil
    schmuel
    howl
    jeff
    xue
    gilbert
    shane (stilgar)
    mikesteve (saw him at the ms ride, hes doin well)
    tim (drags)
    masha?
    mheald
    jeremy fuckface
    p. shelby
    other fuckfaces/gigantics
    ratattack
    doublel
    grev
    joshua robot
    alexi
    dan bones
    buckley
    d.casner/mungorocks
    gregwhits
    graham
    morgie
    johnthefast
    brad o
    hila
    obo hardly posts
    ella has been slacking
    shah
    carter
    owen
    travis
    baumann
    estrada
    tristan
    other tristan
    dooley
    bachez
    stango
    aarn
    c.mcintosh
    corinna
    squaretaper
    conor-ish
    jacobs
    butters
    mrotown
    zach v. (sparky)
    brit
    crumbles
    roz
    squeaky
    deadbolt
    elinor
    karol
    49teeth
    christaan
    cedar
    did jessica o. have a un?
    honorable mention: monty

wild how a fair lot of them dropped off due to drama.

somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Roburrito
    MungoRocks
    Tone
    Ted
    FatherSorry
    ClarenceCKY
    Hannalise
    SaffsAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    holy shit clarence!

A good number of 'em just moved though.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    true.
    i counted about 25 from my/chris' list that have moved.
    and about 16 due to drama.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorryan t

someone find that photo from way back of like 4 or 5 dudes crashed out on a floor with two of them photoshopped together so it looks like they're cuddling.
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2014 edited

Also...

kentucky
    west.
    xbobeahenx
    slowski
    jterb
    Zomar

Most prolific spambot: Brucewave
    iphone punk
    punk iphoneDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2014

chr|s sedition:
    MungoRocks

If that is Dan, he moved back to NYC awhile ago. He must have lived at my apartment that burned down years earlier, because we would get his mail still.
    seanile mick:
    d.casner/mungorocks

yupDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben

seanile mick:

joeyfresh and I were just talking about this event last night.

::le sigh::

Dems was da days....I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Were you guys open air camping in the winter??
    • CommentAuthorben

We drove out of the city and camped out for a few hours to watch the Leonid(?) meteor showerI have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    that was such a good night. I still have that wolf blanket.
    Attendance in general for events has dropped off considerably since then. No one comes out to the noob picnic, apple picking gets smaller every year. If I end up moving someones going to have to carry the apple picking torch.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    • CommentAuthorben

killersim:Attendance in general for events has dropped off considerably since then.
    That was the summer/winter of a million new people, and fixie bikes were still new and cool, and no one had drama yet.

It's crazy to think about how much has changed since then.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    also we all got old/married/boring/injured. Or a combo of all four.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2014 edited

I think doing this yearbook will be the shit. Actual hard copies produced in time for Secret Satan. Maybe even see if some of the old crew wants to make a visit back to town for the party.

bfixed: 2008-2014 -

Like neutering cats
    Boston "fixed" ur scene
    BIKE PIC DICK JOKE COP

Let's discuss planning tonight.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

I was v drunk for that meteor shower night.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

i'm glad we all realized that bfixed is over. we've reached the acceptance stage.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

People always came and went. There was always just an influx of new people to replace the disappeared. Now we chase away new people like they're roaches wanting a piece of our shitpile.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Really? When I came in 2009, the hazing was pretty bad. It just seems like there's fewer ways to connect outside of the internet because there are fewer events. It's the IRL connections that make the internet shitpile here actually fun.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Not to excuse us, but if you think hazing is bad here go join tarckbike.

brb going to read tarckbike again.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Although I did recently stumble on an old thread with some real shittiness in it. Mostly by one person, but still. It's a lot more civil these days.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

nerdo: Now we chase away new people like they're roaches wanting a piece of our shitpile.

hahaha it's true
    ppl were mean to me about my stupid first post, but they weren't like, MEAN mean. just regular mean.

except for seatpost girl

but it's very boston to be all, who-are-you-and-why-are-you-talking-to-meMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

joeyfresh: It's the IRL connections that make the internet shitpile here actually fun.

and yea, if i didn't already know you ppl this would be 100% less funMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

joeyfresh:Really? When I came in 2009, the hazing was pretty bad. It just seems like there's fewer ways to connect outside of the internet because there are fewer events. It's the IRL connections that make the internet shitpile here actually fun.

Shut up, Joe. Nobody asked you.

;)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    dora:
    joeyfresh: It's the IRL connections that make the internet shitpile here actually fun.

and yea, if i didn't already know you ppl this would be 100% less fun

I wish I knew the people here. You people never invite me to nothin'.
    Dear Sean

YOUR MOM HAS BEEN SLACKING.

Love,
    EllaYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    i am so lostsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    "ella has been slacking"YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK