Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2015

oh course, put the cinelli on stupid r/chocyling r/chodefixed r/here'sapictureofmycannondalesynapse r/withreflectors
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015

i didn't choose this chode life, it chose me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkyleblanc
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2015

Hello Everyone!

I've been browsing these forums for a while but haven't made an account until now so I figured I'd start here

My name is Kyle, I work in downtown and live/bike from the Allston/Brighton area. I've been living in Boston for 5 years and build websites in my spare time.

This is what I look like (not a very good picture but you get the point haha) :

This is what I ride:

Looking forward to meeting some of you and seeing you on the road!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Welcome, Kyle. That reminds me, I should get a silly headset cap."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

I like the vegantrackbike sticker, but looking at your saddle makes me feel like i'm slipping out of my desk chair.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Welcome! Do you mean "working downtown" in the messer way? Or do you literally work in a building downtown?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkyleblanc

ben:I like the vegantrackbike sticker, but looking at your saddle makes me feel like i'm slipping out of my desk chair.

I've had a couple people tell me that hahaha but I love it
    •  
      CommentAuthorkyleblanc

nerdo:Welcome! Do you mean "working downtown" in the messer way? Or do you literally work in a building downtown?

I literally work in a building downtown haha
    That seat angle...All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    FUCK. Ben beats me to everything on the Internet. I can't hang with his Net pace. (Just saw his post)All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Oh. Welcome, too.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Nandy:Welcome, Kyle. That reminds me, I should get a silly headset cap.

I have one on my Geekhouse, and I'm pretty sure Pete has one on is Saila. You should also get one. Then we can all play the circle game.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2015

Welcome! that american nightmare/ceremony/blacklisted show must have been off the chain!
    • CommentAuthorRamil.Vobla
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2015 edited

Hi all, I've just moved from Ukraine to Newmarket, NH. Didn't found local fixed gear riders forum so I'm here.
    My name is Ramil, I ride road and track bikes. Here is my Pedalroom - http://www.pedalroom.com/members/Ramil

I have few questions about the laws here, will I have problems with police because of brakeless bikes, riding on red color or what should I know to ride MA, NH. Thanks in advance.

My curent bikes

Mraz project
    Giant TCR Track
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2015

Welcome! The laws and their enforcement will vary by city. Cops won't bother anyone in Boston, but just over the river in Cambridge they like to give cyclists tickets for jumping a green light by a second or even just turning on a yellow if they're in a bad mood (so just look for cops), I don't think I've heard of anyone finding trouble for riding brakeless. I have no idea about Newmarket, NH."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

It's not a message board, but if you are looking for groups to ride with in NH, check out the Granite State Wheelmen. (The group of them I used to ride with were all at least 20 years older than me, but still often faster than me, they knew good routes, and they were nice...)
    What Nandy said. Mostly (in Cambridge/Somerville) the cops just post up in very specific places, usually during commute hours, and catch people running red lights.

Welcome!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Welcome! Love the pic of that Giant against the backdrop of those posters. Where in Ukraine is that?
    Is that a zero-rake trick fork on the beater? Do you ride tricks and/or bike ballet? That's rad.

Josh Zisson, an attorney specializing in bike law and an all-around cool guy, indicates that riding brakeless in MA is no problem. See his post here. In New Hampshire, the law states "Brake required" (see page 7 of this PDF), so I'm not convinced that Josh's reasoning applies there, and you'll probably have to ask people up there whether or not it's actually enforced. Another weird thing I noticed about the NH law is they have some definite differences from MA law regarding night riding -- in MA, you have to have a white front light and a red rear reflector or light, but in NH, it seems both those AND at least one article of reflective clothing or reflective tape on your helmet, and you also have to have reflectors on your pedals unless you are riding clipless in which case you must have someting reflective specifically on your lower legs or shoes. See 265:144 section XII on page 4 and 266:87 on page 6. Again, I don't know if these things are actually enforced.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

welcome! please get different bikes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2015

if you're willing to ride brakeless (and live outside of japan), should you really care whether it's legal or not?
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2015

Welcome! [Obligatory] What size seat post is that?We are the small axe.
    Thanks for the answers.
    I asked about the brakes because you may have problems in Europe with it for example. You will pay 200 euro in Germany to got your bike back if the police catch you.

tone:Welcome! [Obligatory] What size seat post is that?
    27.2mm

I'm thinking about frame building. I've builded one track frameset from the first photo and want continue work with steel tubes . Someone interesting in collaboration?
    Email me - pamujibka@gmail.com
    pocky:Welcome! Love the pic of that Giant against the backdrop of those posters. Where in Ukraine is that?
    Is that a zero-rake trick fork on the beater? Do you ride tricks and/or bike ballet? That's rad.

Josh Zisson, an attorney specializing in bike law and an all-around cool guy, indicates that riding brakeless in MA is no problem. See his post here. In New Hampshire, the law states "Brake required" (see page 7 of this PDF), so I'm not convinced that Josh's reasoning applies there, and you'll probably have to ask people up there whether or not it's actually enforced. Another weird thing I noticed about the NH law is they have some definite differences from MA law regarding night riding -- in MA, you have to have a white front light and a red rear reflector or light, but in NH, it seems both those AND at least one article of reflective clothing or reflective tape on your helmet, and you also have to have reflectors on your pedals unless you are riding clipless in which case you must have someting reflective specifically on your lower legs or shoes. See 265:144 section XII on page 4 and 266:87 on page 6. Again, I don't know if these things are actually enforced.

This shot is from Lviv, thanx! And Zero rake fork. No, don't ride ballet, build this bike just for fun.
    And thank you so much for such answer about the laws.
    Ramil.Vobla:
    27.2mm

This made me smile.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Ramil.Vobla:

27.2mm

impossible, they didn't even make that frame with a seattube for 27.2mm post that yearDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2015

thats what I said!!MUFFDVR
    Nerd alert
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015

that bike is *STEEP*ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    ramil, do you look like this:

?

If so that explains the seatmast on the giant.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015

those shits are the dumbest shit dude give up and buy a camaro
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015

paul jameson:ramil, do you look like this:

Lol'dI have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornormaali
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015

I'm flying in for a holiday from Finland and I'm in Boston 19th June to 5th July. I'd love to hear if there are any alleycats, backward circle competitions or fixed gear train robberies during that period. The calendar seemed a bit empty.

I looked better (medicated) in the picture on my phone's screen
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

FIXED GEAR TRAIN ROBBERIES YESSSSWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I hear there's usually bike polo happening! Come to my bike swap and BBQ on the 27th, we may do some tiny race if I get my shit together."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornormaali
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015 edited

Nandy:I hear there's usually bike polo happening! Come to my bike swap and BBQ on the 27th, we may do some tiny race if I get my shit together.

Great! Last time I visited I spent some time at the polo court. Too bad I can't bring my polo whip along.
    nerdo:FIXED GEAR TRAIN ROBBERIES YESSSS

That was best BFG intro post ever. I love this dude.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    normaali:
    Nandy:I hear there's usually bike polo happening! Come to my bike swap and BBQ on the 27th, we may do some tiny race if I get my shit together.

Great! Last time I visited I spent some time at the polo court. Too bad I can't bring my polo whip along.

They always have loaners.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    paul jameson:ramil, do you look like this:

?

If so that explains the seatmast on the giant.

O DAMBYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Wow
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015

nope, just riding a bike that's way too small. WHOOPS.
    deal
    btw I'm interested in cycling photography, so I'm inviting everyone to contact me and make photoset in some beautiful place for free. Contact me in Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ramil.vobla
    I'm planning to ride in Boston this week. Need somebody to show me best Boston places ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2015

Sometimes it's just nice to roll around on your own. Boston has loads of neat things to look at."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2015 edited

^^ Yes just ride around and get lost! The nice thing about Boston is there are some big landmarks you can see from most anywhere to orient you.
    The Charles River is West to East splitting Boston/Cambridge. The Prudential Tower is a central point. The Citgo Sign is above Kenmore Sq . Main roads to connect you to most anywhere -- Mass(achusetts) Ave, Comm(onwealth) Ave, Beacon St, Boylston St, Huntington Ave, Atlantic Ave
    Look at those on Google maps in relation to those landmarks and you'll be golden! Boston is infamously GPS proof, so look up from the phone and scan the skyline.

I'd also do the Freedom Trail tour (cue anti-tourist remahks!). You can walk or ride and it will show a lot of the nicer historic side. Plus you can download an audio program to follow along with and learn all about our comparatively infant country!
    Nandy:Sometimes it's just nice to roll around on your own. Boston has loads of neat things to look at.

yes, agree. I just want to ride with riders from Boston, just interesting
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2015

Come out to the race tomorrow!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorstandardpig
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2015 edited

--
    Hey all! Just moved out here (Cambridge/Kendall) from Denver for work. Need to pick up a new bike, thinking of swinging by Superb tomorrow to kick off a build...

Anyway, hi! Hope to see y'all out there once I'm on wheels again!

Cheers!don't panic
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015

Welcome to sea level! With all your altitude training, your red blood cell count must be off the charts!

Whereabouts in Kendall are you working? A few of us work in that area...Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)